Saturday, August 13, 2005

A sad, sad day

It is a sad, sad day in the Grosz house hold. In the last week two old friends have left us.... our computer and our green car.

After 7 years of dutiful service, our dear friend Gateway kicked the bucket four days ago. I never realized how dependant I was on my computer until this week of not having one. It is driving me absolutly crazy! I use the computer for everything! Shopping, communicating, getting news, all projects, PTA work. pictures, keeping up with blog world... It's almost sad how down I am about the death of my computer... and loosing all the information on my precious hard drive is just killing me! Addresses, pictures, tax information, countless down loads, and my entire invitations business... all gone. Yes, I know I should have backed it all up but, I didn't. Now I am praying that some techno genius somewhere can revive my computer just long enough to get a few things off of it. Not sure when a new computer will come into our life so this may be it for my blogging as well.

Then the car died..or at least it is close to death. My 1995 hunter green all leather Mazda 626, the car I bought, the car Rob inherited when we got the mini-van, the "paper route" car, the "go to work" car, the "we don't bother fixing cosmetic things anymore" car, the "don't drive her out of town" car, the "do we look trashy for parking her in the drive way?" car is finally on life support. Rob maybe be able to patch her up and send her back out for a few more weeks, but it isn't looking good. I have been really sad about loosing this car!

I am struck by how attached I get to things. Things that can be replaced, but still things that we work hard to pay for. Things that are temporal and have no feelings. Just things. Maybe this is God's way of telling me it is time to let go of the things, or at least not hold on to them so tightly.

Still, I will miss you Gateway and Green car! You both have served me well and I will not forget you!

PS ~ Anyone in blog land have an extra computer laying around? :)

4 comments:

Susan - said...

I feel for you. You can get a new computer, and maybe save the stuff from the old one, but that car is a different story. It represents a lot. I understand. My "green car" left us years ago, and I still miss it. It is not the car, it is the memories and what it meant it my life at the time.

elizabeth said...

Glad that you are back in blogger land!

I get very attached to cars. They feel like an extention of me (maybe I spend too much time drivine!).

Hope you have a great week and that Kolby loves Mrs. M!

Donna G said...

Man I hate changing computers and cars.... Hope it works out for you real soon!!!

Beaner said...

I hope you get that computer soon - I miss your posts! Or maybe you're too busy gearing up for the school year???