Monday, October 02, 2006

The sun will come out Toe-morrow

When I was very young I had a major kidney operation. You would think that my first memory of pain would be from all my kidney issues. The first time I remember feeling excruciating pain should have been from one of my numerous hospital stays. It could have been one of those awful antibiotic shots that went in so slow and deep into the muscle tissue of my three or four year old leg that I walked with a limp for the rest of the day. Nope. My first memory of real pain is from an everyday incident that happened in the hall of the house I grew up in when my Mom accidentally side swiped my pinky toe with a huge Hoover vacuum cleaner. I remember a flap of skin, blood, great pain and lots of tears...both mine and my Mom's! I think my toe nail even came off. Thirty six years later and I don't think either of the nails on my pinky toes have had a chance to grow back properly!

I'm not sure why God gave me pinky toes because it seems life has been trying to knock them off of me ever since. I am a toe murderer. Just my own toes though. I frequently run my toes into to the corners of walls or the legs of chairs. I stump them on curbs, bumps in the sidewalk, or anything I can. Lately the legs of the baby swing and high chair have reeked havoc on my littlest digits. However, Saturday was a red letter day in the history of my toe torture. As proof of this I am sitting here days later with a throbbing, very purple, perhaps broken pinkie toe.

It all started Saturday when I somehow caught my left pinkie toe on the blue wire like legs of the baby bouncy while cruising through the living room on my way to answer natures call. It hurt so badly that nature decided to leave me a little message right then. (I know TMI>>>But this is my blog) An hour or so later after the first bruise was forming and the pain had yet to subside, I limped by the highchair and somehow rammed the same little toe into it's gangly leg . Now I understand the highchair legs need to sprawl out to insure stability...but seriously! I think there is high chair designer out there somewhere calculating how many toes his design will mutilate!!!

If that were not enough for one day, a few minutes later I stumped the same little toe on the legs of the portable swing... That cute little swing is two feet tall and my kids love to move it around. However when you are rushing around with a baby in tow, it's easy to miss! Three times, one day, one toe and, judging from my inability to move it and it's deep shade of plum, I'm guessing multiple fractures! OUCH!!!

So I'm hobbling around with my littlest left toe taped to its neighbor. No shoes fit, not even flip flops. And did I mention I had just started walking a few miles with a friend every night last week? That's out for a few nights. I'm really bummed!

However, since I don't feel like running around town in my house shoes, I get to stay home all day and get about a dozen things done I have had on my to do list for week or so now...including write this post! Ahhh the feeling of marking something off my list! Off to write thank you notes and finish up a few loads of laundry .... Happy Monday blog world! Be sure to appreciate your toes today!

7 comments:

Mommy of Boys said...

I'm definitely going to appreciate mine. Even though they are smooshed into these stinky heels!

Hope you get lots done and can walk better soon!

Clarissa said...

As soon as you can fit into them --- wear shoes, girl!! Great protection for those little pinky toes.

Anonymous said...

...but we love you!

mom23 said...

That poor toe! I had to skim past the story about the first pain though - I just cringed and winced and skimmed!

Susie said...

OH girl! I KNOW how that hurts! I also am rather unmindful of things that reach out and break pinky toes. One time, I was running to get a bottle to Daniel and caught that toe on the leg of the couch. I remember burying my face into the couch so as not to scare Daniel with my screams.

Amy S. Grant said...

I'm a barefoot kind of gal myself. Yeah, shoes would probably help with this problem.

My broken toe was from a soccer ball - you would think I would have worn shoes for that! Just innocent yard ball with my daughter.

I hope you're healing up!

Susan - said...

Oh, I SO relate. I am constantly doing things like that. Shoes would prevent most of them though. Good post.