Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Summer Project

So... I'm sort of  a project junkie.
It's like an addiction. I can't stop. Even when I want to stop, the ideas, they just pop in my head and haunt my dreams.
I always have a project or 12 going AND I seem to have a hard time with something they call finishing???
But let me be clear. I don't actually enjoy doing the projects. I love thinking them up. I love having them complete. The doing and actually making it happen...just a means to an end.
So until I can afford to pay someone else to do my bidding on my crazy schedules and whims, I'm a somewhat reluctant DIY'er.

This summer there has been only one big house project so far~ redoing the hall bath. And let me tell you folks, it was not just a fru-fru redo.  I forgot to take before pictures, (I'm really bad about that) but the wall paper was peeling off the wall...in fact it was gone in a few spots. And it was so Sandra. (The woman who had the house built in 1996 who sold it to us in 2002) It was not at all me, or us. We HAD lived with it like that for almost 9 years...so it was time!

Soooooooo,  one night after a date when the kids were gone Rob and I went crazy and tore all the wallpaper down. ( Isn't that how you and your spouse go crazy? :) Literally. At 11PM on a Thursday night we stripped the walls of the hall bath making our house 100% wallpaper free! Free, Free, Free at last!!!!! No more wallpaper and no more Sandra in my house!

But back to the bathroom... I had hoped to have the whole unplanned spur of the moment project completed  in 48 hours. Yeah. Rrrr-hight! Will I ever learn?  Once we ripped all the wall paper down,  I decided to change up the color scheme. Once the colors changed, well, everything had to change or be changed to fit. But, I wasn't scared. After 9 years of striped jewel toned wall paper, I was up for it!  But then, I got strep throat.  The kids came home. Ella Kate got it too. I had a major curtain crisis, and color issues, a hanging mishap, a few measuring mistakes, some shrinking hem lines... summer life picked up and well... My weekend project is almost complete, just two weeks later!!!

Below are the after shots I just took. There will probably be  more after shots and then maybe some  post after shots as I tend to have a hard time stopping. It's an addiction I tell you!

Notice EK is still in her PJ's and it's way, way after lunch. It's been one of those days! I will try to come back and explain some of these pics later.

Love being back in blog land, but taking baby steps...and I have to find a faster way to upload pictures! :)

P.S. Last night I decided I needed something more in that bathroom. I needed it to be something I could make (translation= no $ for this something but still feel I need it so I will resort to being crafty cause that's my best option.)  for the bathroom. I wanted this something to be a little formal but also kid friendly since this bath is used by kids 90 5 of the time.  So here is where I am on this project.  Basically, I'm wallowing in a sea of great options but drowning in  indecision AND I'm still in my PJs, at 3:30 PM! Gotta love SUMMER!!!  Project completion pictures will be coming soon.
P.P.S. Oh yeah! My day was not a total loss! I finally got around to putting something in the set of four glass add-your-own-photo coasters I gave my Mom for Mothers day. These 3 little profiles and then this cute little saying that I adapted from  a cheesy grandma frame I saw yesterday at Kirklands. :) She loved them!



0 comments: