Friday, August 13, 2010

7th Grade?

Being the silly photo snapping Mom I am, I took this of K as we headed off to 7th grade registration this morning. Great experience for the most part. K is happy with her locker, schedule and things over all. We got her textbooks, found and opened her locker, found all of her classrooms and figured out drop-off and pick-up logistics. Everything was great until I was in the cafeteria talking to one of my PTA friends.

Out of the corner of my eye I noticed her son was checking out a cute blond as she approached a group of girls about 15 feet away from us. The girl's back was to me, but the boys wasn't. I followed his eyes as they watched her and it made me grin... so this is when they start to notice huh? But then I took a second look at the girl to see what he found so... interesting. Imagine my utter shock when I realized that was no random cute blond.... it was my daughter! She had been talking off to my left but I guess she moved and went to see some friends. My smile turned into a little gasp. My talking PTA friend seemed not to notice. I really have no idea what she said after that. Dad-gum ADD! I was all-of-a -sudden appalled that that, that boy! was looking at my little girl like... like.... like she was some cute girl his age! In the same nano-second my outrage cooled to shock.  I realized my little girl actually IS a cute 7th grade girl, about his age. Oh. .... I resumed listening to the boys Mom. She didn't seem to notice my lapse in attention.

After my friend walked on to greet another friend, I took a seat in a black plastic cafeteria chair by an empty table and just watched my daughter mingle. I sat there probably 5 minutes trying to grasp that I hadn't recognized my own little girl at first glance. Why? Well, looking at her it was simple. She  just doesn't  look like a little girl anymore. Not that K looks too old for 7th grade either, but young lady seems to fit her better than little girl.  K has grown up so much in the last two years.

I probably sat there another 5 minutes just watching her mingle, laugh, hug, OMGasp!, flit and giggle... Just like all the other 7th grade girls. I also noticed that K is on the tallish side. She is thin, but in a good healthy way. She had wanted to try a little blush and lip gloss while getting ready earlier this morning.  Yearbook pictures had been taken just after shot records had beened OKed by a school nurse. Now only a few of K's friends wear makeup regularly, and she has yet to want to go there. However, K thinks most (including her) will be wearing some make-up regularly by the time the yearbook comes out next May. So, to save herself the possible embarrassment having a non-made up yearbook picture come out after she could possibly be wearing some makeup... Well she didn't want to look all 6th grade-ish and plain.

Call me prejudiced, but I don't think K is at all plain, make-up or not.  However, when you are in 7th grade, your Mom's opinion of your looks tends not to be the opinion you want to hear. So K wore some powder, blush, a touch of light mascara and some lip gloss. As I applied the make-up (as was part of my terms of agreement) I tried to explain that good make-up application does make up you look MADE-UP.  Make-up is just supposed to subtly enhance your natural coloring while softening a few flaws. She seemed to get that. Iv'e said it a few hundred time to her already. :)

But back to the school... Much to my relief, that 8th grade boy never approached K directly. (Like any 8th grade boy would approach a giggling gaggle of 7th grade girls by himself during registration unless he is life was in ABSOLUTE mortal danger... and I'm not even sure about then!) However, I did notice that he walked really close to her little group of friends about 20 minutes later by the 7th grade hall, without his mother. Hmmmm?  Is it wrong that I was almost over-joyed when K didn't seem to notice him at all as he was stealing looks at her?  But she did notice me at that point.

K and a friend jogged over to see if I would shell out another $25 for a school sweat jacket... to go with the t-shirt and "spirit sleeves" I had just written a check for. After all, it was only 105 outside. Never to soon to get those jackets ready! I declined with a "Maybe later, when it's actually a little cool outside." To which K flipped her hair as she and her friend said in unison "But it is so cold in these classrooms!" Then she gave me her practical face... "Mom I'm really going to need that jacket, and it was so soft inside. They might sell out." The girl had been in that school building less than a hour and  was already familiar with the daily climate of the classrooms. Amazing! You know, I had no idea the school district integrated climate mastery, or perhaps purchase justification into the 6th grade curriculum. But from the number of Moms I saw writing checks, I felt these kids had mastered something! :) I held my ground. But I have to say those were some good looking comfy jackets...

Oh. I have a 7th grader now.
Lord help me.
Please!!
And
THANK YOU so much for that girl!
Big, little or a bit of both, I love her so much my eyes mist just thinking about her
and I truly wouldn't want her or things any other way! :)
Posted by Picasa

1 comments:

lauren said...

Wow! That brought me RIGHT back to junior high!! Such a fun, awkward, and difficult time on life, all rolled into one! I didn't notice boys until 8th grade, but then it quickly switched to lots of little crushes! So hard to believe that Kolby is that age now. It seems like just yesterday she was in second grade!!!! Your world is about to change! ;)