Monday, December 18, 2006

Another year older...

Today I add another year to my age. I'm in good company as Brad Pitt, Steven Speilberg and the later half of Tom-Kat, Katie Holmes also add a year to their number today.

Since having kids, I always think of my parents on my birthday. I almost feel as if I should get them a cake and a present to commenmorate this day. Let's face it, thirty seven years ago today I was just going with the flow. My Mom was doing all the work, and my Dad was the one walking the halls. Really they should get presents and praise today... But they get to take the glory from their parents on their birthdays, so I guess it all evens out. :)

It's funny how I don't feel any older than I did yesterday, but the rest of the world considers me a whole year older. On the other hand, when I look back ten years ago to 27, I do feel older. Yesterdays have a way of adding up before you know it! Ten years ago I was still a newly wed. Rob and I were about to find out that we were moving from Midland to Hurst, Texas and kids...well we had our dog Berkley. That seems like a life time ago. Five moves, 6 jobs, and three kids later, almost everything about my life is different. However, I am still am very much in love with my husband, and I am still a child of God. It's nice to have at least two constants.

The biggest change in tha last ten years.... I am a Mom! Everyday I am amazed by the little people God has entrusted to Rob and me. Since my kids are my full time occupation right now, it seems that being a mommy has predominantly colored every thread of my being. I can barely remember what I did, who I was, or what life was like before becoming a Mom...and that is not all bad! I can't help wonder what the next ten years will bring! One thing is for sure, no more babies AND, that is not all bad either! :)

I look forward to this next year, and all the coming years. I am proud to be my age. Yes, I wish I had my 27 year old pre-mommy body and energy back ...but I wouldn't trade it for my 37 year old life with family, experience, and "rugged hope" the years have given. Sometimes I dream about the past or try to imagine the furture, but the here and now is good.... not without it's challenges, for it is after all life! But it is a good life and I feel very loved and blessed.

Well enough reflection! Birthday or not, I have a long to-do list, and the days a waisting! Hope y'all have a wonderful day and enjoy it for very thing it is!

10 comments:

MDM said...

Happy birthday and you are ALOT younger than Brad Pitt!! Your family is precious and you are blessed!! I like how you remember your parents on your birthday.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday... 37 is just a number - a little number compared to my number!

Donna G said...

Happy Birthday...Hope it is great for you and your parents...

Do you know if Ella Kate waits till she is your age and then has triplets...you will be 74 years old in the floor with three babies crawling all over you....

You feel younger all ready...right?

SG said...

When Ella Kate is 37..... I can not even imagine that far!!!! I'm not sure how that makes me feel!

Aggiema (Michelle) said...

Happy Birthday! I hope you have many many more!

Amy S. Grant said...

Happy birthday! It's my mom's birthday too. :)

elizabeth said...

Happy Birthday, Steph!

Susan - said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I thought of your often throughout the day. Hope it was a great one.

Beaner said...

Happy Birthday STEPHAIE!!! (Sorry - I couldn't help myself!) ;)

mom23 said...

Happy Birthday Stephanie! I love how Oprah says that you OWN those years. Here's the 37 more!