Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Blessings of the Season

December is going by so fast! Can you believe that Christmas is less than two weeks away? Where does the time go? This weekend we did get our tree up and decorated...The rest of the house will be done by Friday or not at all.

This weekend was also big because Kolby went on her Girl Scout trip to the metro-plex! I was a bit apprehensive about this over-night trip because it's was her first out of town over-night trip with out family. But Kolby worked hard selling Girl Scout nuts to earn this trip and I could not deny her going. They had a blast! They went ice skating, had a Build-a-bear party, spent the night in a hotel and then rode the Amtrak train back Sunday afternoon. Kolby's Scout leader is the most creative, organized, brave women I know. She had those girls pack a certain way in a back pack and had them keep up with all their stuff. I don't think I could have trusted Kolby to anyone better than Ms Gabbie! I'm so grateful to people who love my kids and work hard to show them a great time while teaching them big lessons. THANKS GABBIE!

Ella Kate also had a big first this weekend. She started eating rice cereal! Ella Kate is quite a hands on eater! Not sure if you can tell from this picture but, the only way I can get food to EK's mouth without her grabbing it and smearing it all over is to let her hold one spoon while I feed her with another spoon! Too funny that little EKG!

Rhett didn't have any big first, but he had a big fifth! Friday I took Rhett to the doctor and found out for the fifth time in twelve months, he had strep throat! We may be consulting with an ENT about having Rhett's tonsils removed this summer if he has strep again. But despite the strep, he felt pretty good after just one dose of medicine. I think he enjoyed the extra attention he got while Kolby was gone. However no one was more excited about her coming home! Rhett is such a sweet brother! He loves his sisters. Speaking of little sisters....


Sunday Ella Kate wore her Mrs Santa dress to church. Last year around this time Kolby and I were shopping and saw this dress at Old Navy. I'm not sure if we had even sent out the Christmas cards telling everyone that we were having a baby yet, and we certainly didn't know if we were going to have a boy or a girl... But we bought the dress anyway. Doesn't sound like much, but at the time, it was a real leap of faith for me. I remember not wanting to buy anything until I was a lot further along ( 3 miscarriages will do that to you). But Kolby was so excited and it was so sweet that she wanted to get something for her "maybe sister" that I just made myself believe it was safe to buy something for the baby. A year later, to actually see our sweet baby girl in that little dress is such an incredible blessing! God is good. I have to admit that there have been times in the last year that I have really questioned God and questioned what he was doing or not doing in my life. BUT over and over again he has proven to me that he is faithful, he is good, and he does love me! God gives me faith when I can't muster it on my own. He reminds me of who he is and how much he loves me when I least deserve that love. God doesn't have to prove himself, Jesus did that on the cross for all time! But he reminds me of who he is and how he loves through things as simple as a little Santa dress, or as miraculous as the sweet baby girl wearing it!

So even though this Christmas season seems to be going by at light speed, I am grateful for the little reminders and blessings of the season that point me towards the greatest sacrifice and miracle God ever gave us... His precious baby boy who he sent to us and eventually sacrificed for us! May the joy in our hearts over that incredible love and sacrifice light this, and every, season of our lives.

Hope you find many, many blessings in this season!

1 comments:

Donna G said...

What a sweet picture.

It is great when we can look back and see how God has led us through the valleys...He will never leave us or forsake us...even when we can't feel his presence.

Have a blessed Christmas!