Thursday, June 28, 2007

Perspective

It's been raining here. Which is usually a great thing. But it has been raining allot. For a month. And now it's flooding. And scary. And my new summer "must-have" leather sandals are getting hard and warped from all this water.

ANYWAY, the other day my two older kids and I went into a store with the sun shining. An hour and a half later we came out to find there had been a downpour while we were inside. We knew this because of the "mini lake" size puddles that covered the parking lot. Our van was parked in the midst of a mini Lake Superior. The driver's side was surrounded by ankle deep murky parking lot water.

"UUUGGGHHH" I thought as I trudged through the puddles towards the car. I told the kids we would all have to get in on Rhett's side.

"You can get in my door Mommy. You never do that. It's like a game!" said Rhett.

A smirk of a smile took over my face. I'm not sure if it was caused by Rhett's enthusiasm, or the mental picture I had of me climbing over the seats to get behind the steering wheel! But it was a short lived smile, as I walked up to passenger side of the van and discovered the lake was there too. But thankfully, not as deep.

"Oh yuck! There's a big oil slick!" I thought. I began to mentally debate how disgusting that oily water would feel in my shoe when my train of thought was thrown off track by Kolby's exclamation...

"Look Rhett! A rainbow!" Kolby said pointing at the oil slick.

"OH COOL, a melted rainbow!" chimed in Rhett.

"And look how it changes shape and color when you put your foot in it," Kolby happily added as her flip flop skimmed the surface.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Perspective.

May all your oil slicks be melted rainbows!

3 comments:

Donna G said...

That is great.

Much like my perspective of too much rain has changed into a desparation as we are in the middle of a drought!

mom23 said...

Awesome Post! I love this!

Amy S. Grant said...

I love it too!