Sunday, July 22, 2007

Ella Kate takes a dive at the pool...

But not into the water.

The other night we went swimming.

"Come back Ella Kate! The pool is the other way!"
Ella Kate decided however that she wanted to do her favorite thing, which is walk and distribute toys to various parts of the backyard. (She is a great distributor!) She would have nothing to do with us or the water.

I was playing photographer, which is a challenge these days as she will not stay still long enough to get a good picture! As I took this picture I started to to tell Rob (who was less than two feet from her) that EK was precariously close to that big step, but... Too late! OUCH!

She just walked right off that step and dove sideways and forehead first into the concrete! Ella Kate has no depth perception! Is this normal for a 12 month old? AND OF COURSE I HAVE HER 1 YEAR PICTURES SCHEDULED TO BE TAKEN THIS TUESDAY! She did the same thing at my Aunts house on some steps on the 4th of July resulting in this...

It hurts to see her get hurt! When she really falls like this, EK cries like her heart has been broken along with her various body parts. It's pathetic! Rob and I both were so upset at ourselves for letting her fall that we could barely even talk until we were sure she was OK! My kids have always hurt themselves the worst when Rob or I (or even Rob AND I) were right there within arms grasp! And when it happens you can't move fast enough! It's like slow motion and you can't reach the inches required to stop it. I hate that! I wish I had a helmet for her!

I also wish I could find a pint-sized pedometer because I swear that baby probably walks a good 10 miles a day! She is so busy! She never wants to sit down. And if we are "ow-sy" (which is Ella Bella speak for outside) she is gone! Though I hate how they look, for her safety and my sanity I'm considering buying one of those baby leash things.

Even though the fall and resulting purple "egg" looked awful, Ella Kate recovered pretty quickly. She even gave up the pavement for the pool for a few minutes.

So do you think I should cancel the pictures?

5 comments:

lauren said...

Poor EK! I feel your pain right now. James has a new boo-boo every week. Could you put her hair over the knot? If not, I'd probably wait to take pics so you're not unhappy with them and then have to do them again.

Susan - said...

Ouch! I don't know about the pictures, I mean, I kind of think that you should capture the way she really looked at 1 year. On the other hand, you may not want that reminder in a formal photo. That did not really help, did it?

HW said...

I'm not sure about the photos, but can I just say...

Ella Kate has THE CUTEST legs I've seen in quite a while!!

SG said...

Thanks HW! I wish pudgy thighs looked tht cute at 37! :)

The thing about the pictures is that every week for the last four weeks EK has had some sort of bruise on her forehead...and lately they are getting worse! I'm about to call the photographer to see what she thinks...

Anonymous said...

If you can get another appointment in a couple weeks, I would say to wait until the bruise is gone. There's something momentous about the first year pictures -- they are, after all, the first!