Thursday, October 30, 2008

Too much or not enough

Lately I have had too much to blog about or not enough. When there is too much I don't have the patience to condense it down into readable form. When there's not enough, I don't feel like putting forth the effort. Plus I refuse to be political. Anywhere. not. even. here. I just won't drag myself into that, even though it would be so easy to go there!

So having made all the excuses I can for my lack of blogging, I'll try to give you the Campbell's condensed soup version of things going on.

First, my Dad fell last Monday. It wasn't pretty and still isn't. He cracked his hip joint bone. He is in pain from that and with various conditions concerning his back and vascular system. He has had a hard week. The good news is it looks like he has escaped having surgery and he was transferred to a rehab hospital today. The bad news is that he is still in a great deal of pain even on medication and is never comfortable, which is terrible to have to watch and worse to have to live. I'm hoping the pain part will become more manageable in the next few days as he is in no shape for visiting, let alone being able to endure the rehab he is there for. But on the bright side, he is in a great facility and we are very thankful for that. He has many people praying for him and he has good doctors and good insurance (or so we hope!) AND yes, he had already voted. That came up the other day. It made me laugh.

Turns out things like Halloween don't get postponed just cause your Dad is in pain in the hospital. In ways that is a good thing. A great diversion. We had so much fun at Trunk-or-Treat last night! For the first time ever my kids did not dress in theme. :( They were going to all be in the sports theme because we bought the girls ACU cheerleader outfits this summer and Rhett just wanted to be a FC Dallas soccer player. But at the last minute Kolby didn't want to be twins with her 2 year old sister (imagine that!) and EK announced she was going to be a kitty kat. So we went with that. I spent $10 bucks at Hobby Lobby and just pulled stuff out of her closet and wah-lah! A pretty little black kitty! My Mom even made a black shiny tutu. (I was going to make it but Mom was convinced I didn't know how to do it right... :)

In other news, it looks like the PTA storm that took over my life for three months has subsided a bit... AND Mission Accomplished! Our awesome SVE kids sold over $58,000 dollars worth of products so we raised twice as much as we had budgeted! So exciting! Our PTA is doing really well this year. We also doubled our membership and we are having lots of fun. But all this has made for some long hours and crazy schedules. Even though it isn't over by any stretch of the imagination, hopefully my job isn't going to be so all-consuming. YAY! And while I'm loving PTA I realize you can have too much of a good thing.

Speaking of... I read Twilight back in August and much to the disgust of my coven friends, I have not even started New Moon. My affair with Bella and Edward was short lived, not by choice, but by circumstance. I'm hoping to rekindle that fire soon, but I tend to get so wrapped up in books like that that I want to do little else. So before I dive back into the town of Fork, I want to get the house in tip top shape... Something that it has not been in over a year! Plus I need to help Kolby more.

Kolby is doing great, but with the adjustment to 5th grade came changing classes 8 times a day, some meaner spirited girls, and more emphasis on things like fashion, fads and the cost of your shoes. I hate that. Socially Kolby is fine but she takes the meanness to heart. Academically I think she has finally found her stride, it just took a bit longer this year. All in all the move to a new school and grade has not been as smooth a transition as we would have liked. So I have had to adjust my mothering a bit to help Kolby learn how to cope with the new challenges. That's what you do as a Mom, you adjust as your kids need you differently. Turns out Kolby and I are both slow to adjust, but once we get there we rarely backslide!

That's about as concise as I can get, and since dinner isn't going to make itself (darn!), I'll leave you with some Fall pictures. Explanations to come later! Sorry for being such a blog slacker! I wish everyone would join Facebook because it is just so much easier! :)

Happy Halloween!!!




























8 comments:

Leeser said...

What a cute kitty! Thanks for posting! I was beginning to think you'd forgotten about blog world- but I totally understand!

Jacinda said...

Sorry about your dad. Also, about Kolby's transition problems. Hopefully thing will start going smoother for her soon!

Meredith said...

I hope your dad is in less pain soon. I will be praying for him.

I think 5th grade is the hardest year! Cassidy had the same problems and this year in 6th grade it has eased up with the mean girls. Hang in there Kolby!

Great pictures! Trunk or treat is so fun!

Susan - said...

You are so right about Facebook. It is even harder for me to get motivated to blog anymore when I can just post something on Facebook.

Happy Halloween!

Nellie said...

Thanks for the update. I was getting worried about you.

Will be praying for your dad, especially for the pain to ease and go away. My mom broke a hip several years ago and it was so hard to see her in pain.

The kids look adorable!

Happy Halloween!

Anonymous said...

Transitioning to middle school can be SO hard! I've told more parents than i can count to just be patient, check the agenda each day and keep on keepin' on! For even the "worst" cases, usually things are much better by the second quarter, but if not I've found it to be time for an intervention! Tell K to keep her chin up and hope their super expensive shoes get muddy and fall apart! :)

~ mae ~ posting from work, shhh!

Amee said...

So sorry to hear about your dad. I hope the pain subsides soon, for him!

Anonymous said...

I laughed at your dad already voting. My 93 year old Granny was in the hospital the other day. The nurse wanted to know if she was coherent (which she was - and annoyed!) She asked who the president was and Granny told her. Then she asked who was running for President. Granny just smiled and said, "I know who is running and I've already voted by mail" Mom said the nurse stopped asking questions, then!
Hope your dad surprised them and gets better much sooner than expected!
Carrie