Thursday, January 14, 2010

The Matt Baker Murder Trial

If I start talking about this it might be June before I'm able to stop. So I'm going to try to keep it short...or shortish. 

The trial started this week. On our TV it is on channel 132. You can watch it live on centraltexasnow.com. The Waco Trib has a reporter there giving updates every 10 to 15 minutes on their news blog... bless her heart. 

The last two days, I have accomplished next to nothing because I have been glued to this trial. But thank goodness for DVRs and minute to minute news blogs, I'm trying to go about my day just checking in from time to time.

Just the fact that this case being tried is a bit of a victory. There were those who said that this case would never see trial. Not enough evidence, too much time had passed, no proof.  Luckily there are enough people in the world who still believe in doing what is good and right no matter what the odds or predictions say!  Now Matt Baker is being tried in front of a  jury of 12 people who will listen to all they are allowed to hear and make a judgment that will decide his fate, and all the fates that were tangled up together with Kari's death. 

I said this was a victory...but to me it doesn't feel that way because it is such a tragic case. I have spoken about this so many times before on this blog. I have had a link to my friend Shanon's blog that is devoted to the case over there to the right for about two years or more. If you have been here long, or know me at all, you most likely know how I feel about this case.

Still I can not capture with words the dulling pain I feel watching this trial unfold. I don't feel anger or indignation anymore when I see Matt Baker. I just feel a deep sad. Sad that Matt took Kari away from her family. Sad that he has hurt those girls by taking away their mother and trashing their memories of her. Sad for Kari's parents who I have come to love and truly admire over the years. Sad for the many family members and friends that will always feel a ting of totally irrational but unshakable guilt for not saying ____ or doing ____ even though it would have been a crazy thing to do or say at the time... The "if onlys" are so overwhelming in this case!!!

I find myself wondering how Matt Baker ticks. How can a man with a masters in divinity from Truett Seminary lie, cheat, harm and just live like he has?  How did the devil get such control of over him? Is there a soul so dark that God can't get to them? I want to say no, but thinking about Matt Baker.... All I know is that the truth will set everyone free... free to heal anyway. I've been praying for him to just confess for years. I'm sorta naive that way.

So this trial is what is taking my mind this week, not to mention a HUGE percentage of my prayers!

Please pray for this trial to end with a clear verdict of truth and for the families involved to be set free to heal.

Back blogs about this:
http://skegreport.blogspot.com/2007/09/no-justice-on-earth.html
http://skegreport.blogspot.com/2006/04/no-man-is-island.html
http://skegreport.blogspot.com/2006/04/thankful.html
Expressing myself on Shanon's blog:
http://dontevengetstarted.blogspot.com/2008/04/what-does-that-little-sticker-mean-to.html

0 comments: