Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Thankful

Today I am thankful that my biggest complaint is the temperature outside and the swelling that has taken over my feet and ankles.

I am thankful that my 8 year old's biggest problem is a spelling test on Friday, a slight reading disorder, a messy room and an itchy sun burned scalp.

I am thankful that my four year old biggest issue is grumpinees because I refuse to take him to his Dad's softball game in the 98 degree heat tonight. I am not his favorite person right now...In 20 minutes he will love me again.

I am thankful that this baby growing inside me is moving and showing all the signs of being healthy and perfectly formed!

I am thankful that I have a husband who works long and hard and still has the energy and desire to coach t-ball and play Tuesday night softball with the guys.

I am thankful that most of my deepest concerns for our future can be solved with a check.

What brought on this bout of thankfulness?

I was just at Kolby's school and I watched several anxious parents pick up their third graders knowing that they took the TAKS test today just a week after their third grade teacher died. I wish there was a way to make the rest of the school year vanish for these kids, but there isn't. It is hard to take your child to school everyday knowing the painful reminders they will face. I think the kids are in some ways doing better with it than the rest of us.

I drove by the house where that same teacher's two little girls wake up every day to face life with out their Mommy. My heart hurts for them and I can't understand why little girls have to deal with this. Their Dad has to be hurting on so many levels yet he has to keep it together and try to go on. It seems so unfair.

I saw a friend whose life has been torn apart by rage, deceit, and a drug addiction for the last two years. I want to have hope for her, but I just don't see it. How do you recover when you have thrown away so much?

I read the comments of a Christian struggling with the sin of homosexuality on a blog. It broke my heart. I don't understand these issues. My heart and mind can not wrap around them. So much suffering.

So without any smugness I can say I am thankful for the problems I have. My life is far from perfect. I am a very flawed being who can be self absorbed and selfish. I mess up all the time. I have made some bad choices, some even on purpose. I stumble and grumble at times when really I have no room to gripe. I deserve a lot worse than what I get. I know God has blessed me more than I ever deserve. And today I am thankful. Truly thankful.

Most of all I am thankful that I know a God who is ...
Big enough to take all these concerns to.
A God who hurts when we hurt
A God who works to make good come out of the bad.
A God who suffered and died for me.
A God who sacrificed his son for me.
A God who can see past these pains and who assures us all that even in the darkest hour there is hope.
A God who truly loves me even though he knows all my sin and flaws.

"May the sweetest prayer we ever pray simply be ... Dear Lord, THANK YOU!"

12 comments:

Jacinda said...

We are truly blessed.

I feel for those little 3rd grade children who don't understand why their teacher is no longer with them and for her 2 little girls!

Donna G said...

Amen!

Counting our blessings is always a good thing.

SG said...

OH and I forgot I am thankful it is TACO TUESDAY at Rosa's tonight! Who wants to cook when it is so hot outside!!!!

Amy S. Grant said...

Man, I'd love a Taco Tuesday! :-)

BTW, I saw your comment at Mike's after I posted mine! And, no I don't mind your reference.

I work all day Tuesdays and don't have time to blog, so when I read his I was hoping he was referring to someone else! I guess we'll see.

Enjoy your tacos. Pregnancy craving?

SG said...

Amy he was talking about someone else who wasn't to kind. Read the 2nd or third comment by Mike. Anyway i was saying we reached a much nicer conclusion on your blog.

jettybetty said...

I am thankful for your thankful heart--it's beautiful!!

Susie said...

Counting your blessings is truly a blessing in itself. : ) Enjoy those tacos--sounds good!

Amy S. Grant said...

Oh, I totally missed that! What's up with that guy?

Enjoy your day!

Susan - said...

Once again, you are so right. I have been a grump this morning because my house is a wreck and my husband said something about it. (Slapping self on head) My nice house, my sweet, hard working husband - I should not complain.

I am also thankful for good friends!

Craig said...

Great post. My prayers for the school and the loss of a teacher.

Really Really Big Man said...

You are soooooo right. We all have issues and problems that come our way. Being thankful is a great way to look at it. I agree 100%. It is easier to be thankful when all is well ... more of a faith issue being thankful when things are not so hot. My wife and I look at it from several positions. Things could always be worse (ex. Katrina victims who lost EVERYTHING). Also, God is omniscient and therefore know our situations intimately. In spite of that knowledge, I believe He still wants us to said Thank You!

Good entry!! Viya con Dios!

SG said...

I have tried to post all day and blogger says the server is down...if you could have read the post I was trying to publish, you would know how funny that is!