Monday, April 10, 2006

No man is an island...

Saturday morning the secretary from Kolby's school called to tell me that one of our third grade teachers had died the night before. My PTA job is to work with and support the teachers at our school. The secretary knew I would want to know. This was this teacher's first year at Spring Valley. I don't know the third grade teachers as well as the other grades, but still, I knew her. It's heart breaking.

Her Husband is a minister who works with troubled youth. She is mother to two little girls, a kindergartner and a fourth grader, who also attend our little school. She lost a little girl to cancer about five years ago. She was helping give a "cancer free" party for her beloved relative after a good trip to MD Anderson last week. She was only 31. She died of an apparent overdose of sleeping pills. I am not sure if anyone knows or is saying whether it was accidental or intentional. My heart wants to believe it was accidental, and my mind won't listen to much else.

No matter what the reason, two little girls woke up to bury their Mommy today. A room full of third graders went to school this morning knowing they will never see their teacher again. A team of teachers rushed to get a substitute ready to finish out the year as they battle their own emotions at loosing their friend. Administrators and counselors took their places and prayed they can help everyone through this tragedy as well as possible. Parents took their kids to school with heavy hearts and a lump in their throat. I know I have hugged my kids a lot tighter since Saturday. This just isn't supposed to happen.

As all tragedies do, this tragedy has made me stop and think about my life in ways I don't think everyday. I wonder if I said "Hi" to her when I saw her last Thursday? Did I smile at her? I had no idea that the death of this woman that I barely know would make me cry, but it did. No man is an island we are all connected...

I wonder if she had any idea how her death would affect so many people? Do any of us ever really realize how intertwined our lives are with others? Do we realize that what we do or what happens to us can change the course of some one else's life? This death has really made me think about being salt and light. It has made me think about communicating love at all times, even to strangers on the street. It has made me want to be more intentional in communicating my affection for other people every day.

I know without asking that many of you will pray for this family and school. Thank you in advance for your prayers. I assure you they are greatly appreciated and today, greatly needed.

8 comments:

Jacinda said...

I am so sorry to hear this and is a wake up call to always be kind because you never know what could happen tomorrow.

Susie said...

How very sad. Hug your friends close, and your babies closer. My heart and prayers go out to this family, your family and your community. The ripples travel pretty far out to affect many people.
((BIG HUGS!))

Donna G said...

Of course I will pray. I lost a teacher once to a brain tumor. He was only 27 and was my 5th grade teacher. All of the girls had a crush on him. He died between our 8th and 9th grade years....it was the worst funeral I had been to at that point in my life.

jettybetty said...

This sounds somewhat similar to the young mother in Arlington earlier this year--and it all rips my heart out. I have a feeling she had NO idea how intertwined her life was.

The family is in my prayers.

Aggiema (Michelle) said...

Certainly will pray for this family. As jettybetty mentioned it does sound similar to the other case, I think they even have the same first name. Poor little girls who lost their mom and poor husband with no wife. It makes my heart ache for them.

Amy S. Grant said...

How sad for this family, students and school! My heart breaks for them, and I will be praying tonight. Things like this are a wake up call.

Susan - said...

How very sad. I tried to imagine how something like that would affect our school and I know it would be devastating. My heart and prayers go out to everyone.

mom23 said...

That is so sad. I will absolutely pray for this family.