Monday, December 13, 2004

The old songs

Yesterday morning I did not go to church. This sinus infection is just not lifting. On the days I miss church, I find myself trying to have my own church of sorts. Sometimes it is an unconscious thing. Yesterday, I was doing some laundry and unpacking the Christmas village when I realized I was singing "When I survey the wondrous cross." I think I was four when I first remember singing this song. I don't think we have sung it recently at Crestview. But there I was in my PJs in the dining room singing it.

The old songs eventually surface no matter how long they have been dormant in my mind. "When Peace like a River" and "Earnestly Tenderly Jesus is Calling" surfaced yesterday morning to. Now, no one loves the "new" songs like I do! Zoe and WOW and many others blare from my speakers in the van, the living room, eveywhere... But sometimes the old songs are just as good at centering my soul. Reminds me of an old girl scout song. "Make new friends but keep the old, some are silver and the other's gold." The older I grow, the truer these word ring.

Listen to a golden friend today, and go give it your all!

When I survey the wondrous cross,
On which the prince of Glory died,
My richest gain I count but loss,
And pour contempt on all my pride.

Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast,
Save in the death of Christ, my God;
All the Vain things that charm me most,
I sacrifice them to His blood.

See, from His head, His hands, His feet,
Sorrow and love flow mingled down;
Did ever such love and sorrow meet,
Or thorns compose so rich a crown.

Were the whole realm of nature mine,
That were a present far too small;
Love so amazing, so divine,
Demands my soul, my life, my all.

2 comments:

Matt Elliott said...

Great post, Stephanie! And thanks for allowing me ot comment. :-)

I'm actually a huge fan of "When I Survey the Wondrous Cross", and I work in "Softly and Tenderly" (the "earnestly tenderly" song you referred to) whenever I can. Frankly, I have to "go somewhere else" mentally when leading "Softly" -- it usually chokes me up. Yesterday, I led "Near to the Heart of God" and "Peace, Perfect Peace" in the midst of our mostly-contemporary worship. It was quite moving and obviously struck a chord with our worshippers. I wrote a blog a few months ago about some of the best -- and the worst -- of these old songs. Give it a look here.

Donna G said...

I cannot sing When I Survey, without choking up. I found myself alone (I thought) in the auditorium at church and I love the acoustics so I was singing this song at the top of my lungs. The lady who was in the foyer sweetly told me it sounded like an angel singing (an angel of darkness maybe). But this song is very special to me and my favortie communion prep song.