Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Come Again Another Day...

Revised with contact and service information on 5-30-07
Today was supposed to be the first real day of summer for me and the kids. With Kolby off at camp it's not really normal summer yet. But still, I was hoping for sunshine and the chance to get outside a bit. Rhett was able to go to his swim lessons, for which I am very grateful! But about an hour later the clouds got together and the sky opened up. It's raining...again.

However, today I think rain is more appropriate than the warm summer sun. Today is just a sad grey day. It started with the news of the tragic accident that involved the Brown/Bailey family in West Texas last night. (If you don't know what I am talking about go here or here or here.) My heart breaks for this family! I keep praying that Bailey will be recover fully from her injuries and that God will find some way to comfort this heartbroken family at the loss of their son! I can not imagine the depths of their grief. It hurts to even think about it.

Then just hours later, I learned that the father of a good friend passed away unexpectedly this morning. I am close to this family and have known this man and his wife since my time with their son (who married one of my roommates) at ACU. Over the last five or so years I have seen them several times a year at their grand children's birthday parties, recitals and various events. I even worked a non-profit event with this man and his wife every year for four years. He was too young to die. It was cancer. It came fast. Just four weeks ago this man was giving a speech in San Antonio and developed a pain in his back side, now he is gone. His wife had no idea at the beginning of May that she would be a widow before June. Again, my heart hurts for them and all I can think to do is pray that somehow God will steady and comfort them as only he can.

And I know that this man and the Brown's son are with the Father now. I know that should make me rejoice. I know that as a Christian that death is not the worst thing... it is our homecoming. But still. I can not get past the grief of those that are left behind long enough to celebrate. I wonder if that says something about my faith in God's perfect plan and timing? It helps me to know that even Jesus wept at his friends death. Surely he understands our grief.

Not too cheery a post today. I know. Sorry.

Grief is a part of life, and I guess even a part of faith. Faith in a loving God is all that gives me hope that as sad as this day has been, that someday the sun will rise and shine in the skies above and in each of the broken hearts I have mentioned here. On days like this I cling to the hope that through Christ the most broken of hearts can laugh again. Eventually. But not today. And that is OK.

Rain , Rain, Go away! Come again another day,
For today has seen all the "rain" it can stand.
Here's to the never ending hope that the sun will shine again!

Service information for Rob Gunn here.

Tob Brown Family Web Site here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of my church buddy men died unexpectedly Saturday night. I wasn't real happy with God Sunday morning but I think I made up with him. Sometimes, I just wish I understood things now instead of later.

Jacinda said...

My heart is breaking for the Brown family. So sad!

SG said...

This Story just keeps getting worse. Here is an article in the San Angelo Standard Times about the accident. http://www.gosanangelo.com/news/2007/may/30/teenager-killed-rollover-crash/

Amy S. Grant said...

Your post is very well said. My heart has grieved for this family that I don't even know.

And, I am sorry to hear about your friend. Four weeks!