Friday, July 22, 2005

Precious Days

I seem to be surrounded by pregnant people or people who have just had a baby. Talking with them has taken me back to when Kolby and Rhett were born. I feel very sentimental about my children's baby days...and its hard to admit that they are over. One of my pregnant cousins is going to be induced next week. Talking to her last night reminded me of those precious moments after Kolby was born. They were so full of anticipation, emotion, and honestly a little fear.

The minute I saw Kolby I expected to feel instantly bonded. Truthfully, I didn't... though I was completely amazed by her! It was overwhelming to know that the bundle of pink baby girl in my arms had formed and grown inside me. It sounds sorta silly I guess, but most of my pregnancy with Kolby I just felt sick, swollen, and fat. It wasn't until Kolby was born that I truly appreciated my pregnancy. It's strange to say, but I remember finding it hard to believe she was mine. Yes, I was right there and witnessed her coming out of my body, but still it took some time to absorb.

Kolby's eyes were wide open the minute after she was born. She really didn't cry much. Her face was all squishy and her nose looked huge because it was flat to her face. Her whole face was a little swollen and puffy. My mother kept saying how pretty she was.. I kept very quiet. I remember everyone coming in and holding her. I remember thinking it all didn't feel real and I kept wondering if I would wake up to find it had all been a dream(it was only 5am).

But what I remember most were those tiny baby blue eyes looking back at me. Kolby looked at me as if she understood the miracle that had just occurred better than any of us, and she was waiting for us to catch up. Kolby was born looking confident. I know that sounds crazy, but if you know her, it isn't much of a stretch.

When it was time to feed her, the room cleared and it was just me, Rob, Kolby and the nurse. I was panicked at the thought of nursing, but the nurse and the baby knew just what to do! About ten minutes later Kolby drifted off to sleep and Rob took her off to the nursery to get all cleaned up. When they left I sat in bed and cried. I can't tell you why I cried, hormones I think, but I cried until I feel asleep.

An hour or so later Rob brought Kolby back in. If he hadn't been with her the whole time I would have sworn they switched babies! This time she really did look beautiful! Her face wasn't swollen. Her little head had already started to look more round and less squished.. and her nose wasn't so big after all.

It suddenly hit me that I was a Mommy. Her Mommy. I cried again. Rob just laughed at me. We slowly started making phone calls letting everyone know "It's a girl!" I think we woke up many that morning, but no one griped!

Baby Kolby, just four hours old!

Fast forward 7 years, 5 months and 9 days.... Kolby is watching Kim Possible and eating jelly toast that she made herself. She is wearing light pink Pj's with hot pink feathery cuffs. She talks a mile a minute about everything. She still has that confident gleam in her eye. WHERE DOES THE TIME GO?

Rob mentioned that Kolby would be going to college in ten years the other night. I can't even think about that. My mind can not reach that far. But it made me realize that everyday with Kolby and Rhett is a gift. There are no days to waist. It will all be over way too soon!

So on that note I am off to make some memories with my two precious gifts from God. I hope you too make a memory with your blessings today!

8 comments:

Chris said...

Thankyouthankyouthankyou for this - just what I needed!

Beaner said...

Today I danced under the water mushroom thing at the pool with my kids - it was a nice break from screaming "WALK!!!" every other minute! It was good to just enjoy them!

Donna G said...

How did you post this in the future???? I want one of those machines!

SG said...

HA HA DJG somehow my cursor grabs the date box on blogger and I don't notice the date has changed. But if I could travel in time...I think I would rather go back instead of skipping ahead. That may say more about me than this blog does!

Susan - said...

Thank you again Stephanie, because now that I am more organized, I actually have time to sit down and spend time with my precious ones. Jackson starts Kindergarten in one month! I have a lump in my throat just thinking about it.

Donna G said...

Yes, it is that way with kids. You want to go back and this time really enjoy everything. I love a confident woman...your little girl is going to be ALL THAT

elizabeth said...

I commented this afternoon, but I guess it didn't take. I also noticed that you had posted in the future and was sad that my birthday was already over!

Mae said...

It's not nice to make overly emotional pregnant women who feel fat and rather Humpty Dumpty like to cry... but thank you. :)