Tuesday, July 19, 2005

While We Were Out...

The kids and I rolled in to Waco yesterday evening around 6:30pm. Isn't it funny how just four or so days away can make you look at your little world differently? Last night as we drove in our driveway I was pleasantly surprised by the red brick house before me. For months I have only seen the grass in the beds and trim that needed painting. But yesterday when I drove in I just saw my home ... and it looked good.

We went to Arkansas last Thursday to visit my good friend Susan and family who moved to Arkansas almost two years ago. We had never been to their neck of the woods and it was way past "our turn"!!! Susan was sweet enough to send us passes on Southwest so we could fly instead of drive. This was my kids first time to fly and one of their few trips out of Texas. Despite the three hour delay on our flight Thursday, both kids loved the airplane. Rhett complained that his "ears weren't normal" during our decent, but over all they did great!

Arkansas (or at least the Conway/Little Rock area) is so pretty to me. I love the trees and the hills. It rained every day we were there. Susan's husband was working from Friday to Monday and was not home. (He is a pilot.) So what did we do with four kids with four straight days of on and off rain storms? We re-decorated and reorganized several rooms in Susan's house!

That wasn't the plan at all, but that is what happened. We mainly focused on converting their playroom to an office. We decided we would pull a "while you were out" thing for Susan's husband Mark. Several late nights and a few hundred dollars later, we stood quite proudly in the new office. It is almost weird to me how much I actually enjoy decorating and organizing other peoples homes! It seems so much easier than doing my own. Am I the only one who feels that way?

I would post before and afters pictures ...but I'll leave that to Susan since it is her house. Go over to her blog and bug her to post pictures if you want. I wish I could have seen the look on Mark's face when he walked in late Monday night to see what all we had done. He told me himself that he loved it. Susan said he even mentioned something about a spa weekend.... Mark if you read this....I'm all over that idea!

And what were the children doing while the decorating divas did their thing? Miracle of miracles I have never seen four kids play so well for so long together. Susan and I were both amazed and very grateful. We did make it to the pool one day and we ate out a lot. Rhett loved playing with boys and with big boy toys. I think Kolby loved being the only girl, and therefore Queen. It was a great visit.

Meanwhile back in Waco, we are un packing and continuing the "clean and organize" campaign I began several weeks ago. It has been a slow go since three of the four of us have been out of town every weekend for over a month now, but we are trying.

In other Grosz news, Kolby let me pull her loose tooth today. That's tooth number 10 if anyone is keeping track. The tooth fairy is going to have to rob a bank to keep up with Miss Kolby. We all go to the dentist next week. I have a feeling he will soon refer my small mouthed, extra toothed child over to an orthodontist...and yes, she is only seven!

I guess that about covers it. Ever had one of those times when you are constantly doing things and going but it doesn't seem like much is going on? That is where I am.. Perhaps it's denial... Anyway good to be back and wish me luck with the projects... Less than one month until school starts. You don't know the panic fear and dread that sentence just produced in me!!! Take care blog world! :)

5 comments:

Mae said...

Must be nice to actually have a long summer. The "year 'round" bug has bitten here so the summer break is only about 6 - 7 weeks. They start back next Thursday and it's my only nephew's first day of Kindergarten! Deep healing breaths, deep healing breaths...

Have fun organinzing! I can chuck stuff like no other, but it's much easier when I have absolutely no attachment to the stuff to being w/!

Mae said...

I meant begin w/... not being. Pregnancy stupids strike again!!!

Gem said...

Hey, let me know if you ever come to Michigan, my whole house can use a makeover! Just pick a room, any room!

Susan - said...

Stephanie, you are a miracle worker! I enjoyed your visit so much, I just hope you did too. I want you to come back someday and really just visit.
P.S. I can only post afters, I do not have the befores.

Susan - said...

Just so you know, I had Bunko last night. It went great. I even had a couple of people comment that they thought my house was nicely decorated! Just thought I'd let you know. Talk to you soon.