Tuesday, July 26, 2005

That hurts!


OUCH!
To read the story that goes with this picture, click here!

Have you ever heard a story that sounded as bad as this picture looks? You know one of those tragic true stories where just thinking about it makes you cringe? It seems I have heard of several of those heart breaking, life-altering, teeth grinding, heart peircing situations lately. Seems like there is lots of hurt in the world.

In most of these situations I don't know the people that well but my heart hurts for them. I have blogged about my confusion over the heart felt, right Christian response to tragedy. It's something I struggle with, balancing compassion and sympathy with a positve outlook.

However, other peoples tragedies serve to remind to me that my life is good and I am blessed. They remind me that we all, every last human on the planet, NEED God. We all NEED to serve him. We live in a fallen imperfect world. The only perfection any of us will ever know is through the blood of Christ. The closest to perfect I will ever be is when I bow before him.

All my life I have heard that death is the great leveler, meaning all are equal in the face of death. I have not found that to be true, at least from this side of death. I have known people who died terrible deaths while others seemed to die with ease and peace. I think Christ is the great leveler.

All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God ~ the rich, the poor, the strong, the weak, the smart, the dumb, the big and the small...ALL All need Christ. I love that thought. It comforts me when I feel unworthy, encourages me when I feel down, inspires me when I feel drab, and it humbles me when I feel boastful. We ALL need God. ALL!

On a somewhat seperate note, the baby I talked about Sunday is doing better. They are slowly weaning her off the respirator and the oxygen and hoping she will be home in a week or so. My friends parents are back from their cruise. I think my friend went home from the hospital yesterday... I can't imagine how hard it would be to go home with out your baby! But overall, things are looking better.

These precious little babies are all miracles! We forget that don't we? As a parent you don't ever want to hear that anything is wrong with your baby, not even temporarily. Being a parent has done more to show me my complete dependence on God than anyother thing in my life. Heaven help all who venture into the wonderful but sometimes heart wrenching world of parenthood!

There is a mother/daughter girls night out at church tonight. Kolby is so excited. NO ONE enjoys a party more than my little girl!Wonder where she gets that? :)

4 comments:

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Praise God! Glad she's better. (the baby)

Steph--been missing you. Please hug MK for me. Would love to see you guys again.

Anonymous said...

While preparing for Ladies Day one year, alone in the building, I was moving a small table to another part of the church building. I thought it would be easier if I put the flat top part of the table on the floor and slid it to the other room. As I ran through the hallway with the table in front of me, I hit a bump. The table legs I was pushing folded and I fell into the other set of legs (much like the diver you showed) I cut the bridge of my nose, broke a small wedge out of my nose (which relocated making a lovely bump). There was only one open door and I bled all the way out of the building. We later dyed the carpet.

Donna G said...

We talked Sunday about how some folks just seem to have a cloud following them around like in the cartoons. I don't understand why I am blessed sometimes, but I thank God that I am. I too struggle with how to help the hurting.

Serena Voss said...

I, too, am blessed. When I have had my patches of grief, God has brought people into my life who have comforted me and helped to lead me to higher ground.

I can identify with the "cloud" Donna mentioned. I had developed quite a habit living that way. Praise God that there is deliverance from that.

The only thing better than being delivered yourself is to be involved in delivering others, by whatever means God allows you.