Friday, October 26, 2007

That's my boy!

Seems Like I don't blog about Rhett as often as I do his sisters. It is not for lack of anything other than time... and perhaps a little squeaky wheel syndrome.

I miss having Rhett around as much now that he is a big kindergartner! But I would not have it any other way as he truly loves school and still is so happy to go off with his Dad and sister every morning. Rhett has adjusted really well to school. His teacher told me he should have a perfect report card next week. He hasn't even missed a day! Rhett still gets a bit worn out towards the end of every week, but he is learning and soaking it all in like the 6 year old sponge of a boy he is!

Rhett does his homework the minute he gets home with no prompts from me. He makes sure I do not forget to sign his folder everyday. He is very good at keeping up with his things. So far he has not forgotten a show-n-tell and loves to talk about the letter of the week and find things that start with it everywhere we go. He fusses at me if we have not laid his clothes out together before he goes to bed. He wakes up to his own alarm clock and is dressed down to his shoes (and now jacket) before any of us are even out of our PJs. He is all business when it comes to being ready for school. I love that about him!

Rhett is also very funny! He cracks me up without trying on a daily basis. For instance, at his school carnival there was a silent auction for a "date" with each teacher. (Movies, ice cream or whatever the teacher picked) We asked Rhett if he wanted to"bid on his teacher." He gave us a puzzled look and said, "I already have her everyday for free!" As if... I then told him it was to bid on a date with his teacher, to which he replied in disgust and dismay, "Mo-om! She is Married!" I think he even rolled his eyes. He was quite eager however to bid on an hour and a half of free time in the gym with five friends. He was elated when he won!

Rhett gets fired up easily. A birthday party invitation makes his day. Getting to rent a PS2 game is the best thing ever! Spending some time with his cousins or friends and he is a happy guy. At the mere mention of a trip or a hotel stay he will jump up and down like he has won the lottery. Rhett loves going to church and hates it if he misses "first class" (Sunday School). He also loves to play outside with friends and LOVES his soccer games and practices. He is a social little guy, but in a completly different way from his sisters.

You never have to wonder what Rhett thinks about something or how he feels about something... Whether bored to tears, mad as a hornet, or happy as a clam, it is clear by the expression on his face. That has been both a good and bad thing.

Rhett loves his Mama and the feeling is beyond mutual. One of my favorite things to do is to read cards (brain teasers) or books with Rhett at bedtime. He always tells me funny stories about kids in his class or something he did that day.

Recently Rhett was griping about a girl in his class who got his table in trouble. She gets multiple clip/color changes almost everyday. I told Rhett he still had to be nice to her and that we should pray for her to find a way to act better. After several nights of praying for the little girl, Rhett stopped mid prayer to tell me we didn't need to pray for her anymore. I asked if the girl was acting better. Rhett said "No It's not working." When I suggested it might take time, Rhett said " I don't want to bother God with ___, She bothers Mrs H and our whole class enough for everyone." Now where did he learn to think like that?????

His lack of compassion for repeat class disruptors aside, Rhett is a pretty sweet little boy. He loves his sisters. Ella Kate loves her brother so much! She looks for him everyday and is so happy whenever he pays her the least bit of attention. But Rhett is pretty good at paying attention to both his sisters. He is a better baby watcher than Kolby. He completely freaks if Ella Kate puts anything in her mouth and is quick to come to her aid if she is in trouble. He also loves Kolby who is not always as nice as she should be to him. He always wants to make sure Kolby gets a prize or a treat of he does. He hates it when she is in trouble. He also loves to hang out in her room though both of them don't like to admit it.

Rhett loves his Dad and lives to go do guy things with him. He loves that his Dad and Robby coach his soccer team. He still runs excitedly to the door to greet Rob everyday when he gets home. They have a special bond as the out-numbered guys in this house.

Rhett was my scariest delivery, pregnancy and probably my most challenging baby, but he is a gem of a kid! It is fun to be his Mom (Though he does try to push the limits at times, no kid is perfect!) I feel very blessed to be able to watch him grow into the fine young man I know God wants him to be. I love you Rhett-r-roo!




Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

MDM said...

That was so fun to read! What a doll you have. Can we save him for my Zoe girl someday??

elizabeth said...

What a great post! Rhett is such a sweetie! We love having Rhett in Sunday school.

Julie said...

Hi Stephanie! It was so good catching up with you this weekend - such a small world! I blogged about Farm Fest yesterday. We had a ball!
hinshawhappenings.blogspot.com
Many blessings,
Julie Hinshaw