Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Mrs. Mama... I think not!

With Kolby home the last two days, I did a little bit of "Mommy Homeschooling." Missing two days in 4th grade makes for quite a bit of make-up work, as I guess it should. But just in case I ever take a nasty fall and hit my head and totally loose my memory, I thought I would write down the things I have learned/remembered in the last two days ... Just in case homeschooling should ever come up as an option in our household.

Reasons I Can Not Home school My Children..
1. I am not a morning person. School would not start until 2 in the afternoon.
2. I have a bit of test anxiety and would want to skip testing altogether.
3. Beyond third grade, math gives me headaches.
4. My house would never have a break to be cleaned and would be condemned by mid-term.
5. I am too ADD to teach a 4th grader, a kindergartner and keep up with a 15 month old .. It takes all my concentration just to make their lunches!
6. Have you seen how I spell? and type? Yeah. 'Nuff said!
7. Kolby and I would never make it. Seriously. I love her and she loves me, but we clash. I want her to have better memories of me than that.
8. My social children would be depressed if they could not go somewhere and be with friends all day. They would feel punished. And I think I might feel the same.
9. I am a better mother and my kids are better kids when someone else is "the teacher".
10. Rob could not afford my salary and classroom expenses on his own so I would have to go back to work...and well.. can't home school from work! :)

I do not look down on those who home school. I just feel like they must be from a different planet. I admire them but at the same time do not "get them" at all. I think Moms who home school have to be made out of a better, stronger, or maybe just a completely different substance than I. Now, if we ever had to live overseas, or if one of my kids ever had some health issue that made home-schooling completely necessary, I would rise to the occasion. But as I rose, I would be looking for other options. Maybe they could be blog-schooled? :)

14 comments:

jettybetty said...

I don't know if homeschool moms are better or stronger than me, but they are made from a completely different substance!
Loved your list! =-)

HW said...

When my son was in 3rd grade he said "Mommy, you either need to home school me or send me to a church school. I'm hearing bad words on the bus."
And I whispered to my husband "He'd be hearing bad words if I home schooled him..."
That about sums up how well I'd do at it.

Jacinda said...

This post made me laugh! I think I could have written at least part of it!

Anonymous said...

You crack me up! And that is a very big blessing right now. I'm glad I took the time to check your blog this morning. Thanks!

Susan - said...

Amen! Fourth grade math is killing me. I had to check Jonathan's homework last night, which meant I had to figure out the answers to know if his were right. Ugh. It was hard.

Mommy of Boys said...

Yes! Yes! Yes! I completely agree and my older son is only in kindergarten!

Linda said...

I was a teacher before I had my kids....a long time ago.....and even then I knew it was something I wasn't cut out for! I admire moms that can do it/or want to do it.....God bless them. Just knew I couldn't.

SG said...

Nice to know I am not alone.

The funny thing is, I am a teacher. Or I was. Have been. Probably will be again someday. But to be a good teacher I need things...
Like the structure and the departmentalization of a classroom/school.
A starting/ending schedule that I can not alter that holds me accountable.
Children who are not born of me to be my studdents.
Fellow teachers to brainstorm and get ideas from.
A daily break where the kids are in specials or at lunch and I am not in charge.
Things like that.

I love to teach. I love my kids. I love to teach my kids to a point. But for it to be "real" school, I need a real school. It's just how I am wired.

Deana Nall said...

I am RIGHT WITH YOU. Especially #9. I'm a better mom when I'm not with my kids all day, every day.

Beaner said...

I couldn't & wouldn't EVER do that to my kids.

Clarissa said...

Yay! I love you all. This helps my guilt complex awee bit. Abbie came home a few weeks back and said, "Why can't YOU be my 1st-grade-teacher?" I told her, "I can't do that! I don't know how!" This is why I want to be a music teacher, too. You only get 'em for a little while, then they traipse along back to their "real" class. I couldn't stand being cornered with the same crew all day; I've done my time.

Amy S. Grant said...

Yeah, I missed that homeschooling gene as well.

mom23 said...

I hear ya! And if its any condolence, when I was reading up on homeschooling theories and practices, I read repeatedly that former teachers have a hard, if not impossible, time homeschooling.

Anonymous said...

Oh, my sides hurt. You are hysterical. And I am soooo with you on this. Have ya'll ventured into "lattice multiplication" yet? I hadn't heard of that before last year with Bro. I had to look it up online and edumacate myself on it. Took a little while. But I got it. Enjoy 4th grade! ;)

Shannon