Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Wednesday?

The last few days have been a blur! I can not believe it is Wednesday already!

Love the comments and suggestions from last Friday. I meet with the floor guy this week and hope to make some sort of decision. I'm leaning towards painted cabinets but probably a cream with some sort of glaze. I love color (as anyone who has been in my house can attest) but I have come to truly love and appreciate neutrals. I read an interior designer quoted in Better Home and Gardens as saying something like "Brilliant rich colors evoke strong emotion." She went on to say that she wanted her house to be a cozy, restful retreat from the world of strong emotions. To do that, she went with a more neutral pallet with only small accents of strong color. I loved her house! It was not all white and beige. She used lots of white(base boards, shutters etc.) with warm hues of yellows and browns, and complimentary peaceful hues of blues and greens. The colors were a bit muted and tame with some bright, brilliant accents. It looked so simple, peaceful and cozy. I think that may be what I go for in our house. What do you think?

Actually I have had little time to think about the house since I last posted. Last Saturday Kolby and Rhett had their 2nd Upward basketball games. Both are doing well. Kolby made four baskets, scoring 8 of her teams 10 points. I think she is starting to like this game... Which is a pleasant surprise coming from the girl who once asked if she could just show up in her uniform, cheer, and get the snack without having to actually play in the game! Rhett is also progressing. He isn't as experienced as some. Though we have had a basketball goal for years, I can't say Rhett has taken much interest in it. He seems more naturally drawn to soccer and baseball/t-ball. But he loves playing now! Rhett just likes to be in the game, no matter what "the game" is.

We had great surprise on Saturday after the game. My friend Susan and her boys called from Love Field in Dallas. They had just been bumped off their flight (they are non-rev passengers) and as a result were in Texas without plans. So they rented a car and came down to see us! We had a great time! I am always amazed at how well our kids get along. The Jenkins are "our family we're not related to" according to Rhett. I think that about sums up my sentiments as well. As always, we were so happy to see them and little sad to say goodbye... But we have learned that the goodbyes are never for very long and we are always able to pick up where we left off! We are truly blessed to count them as our friends!

Tuesday was a red letter day in the Grosz household! Ella Kate was supposed to visit the Mother's Day Out class that she officially starts Thursday. I took her in about an hour after school started with her little bag and lunch. I had planned to stay and just let her visit. But once we got there, she went in and played acting like she had been going to MDO all her life. So at the teachers urging, I left her there to eat lunch and said I would come get her before nap time. (I just knew EK wouldn't take a nap for them the first day.) But when I called to say I was on my way back, my friend Emily who teaches next door said EK was asleep! WHAT???? So I waited until the normal pick up time. When I went in to pick her up, EK gave me a big smile and kept playing! What?? No running across the room and acting like she missed me? It made me happy to see her having fun and enjoying her new friends, and at the same time, it made me a little bit sad . My baby is growing up. Funny how each developmental milestone passed by my children both thrills and saddens me. But the "thrills" side always wins out!

After having Rhett, (who kicked and screamed the first 6 months that I dropped him off at MDO) it is such a blessing to have one who seems to love going to class and school! And although it's a little hard on my heart to admit that my baby is past the "being with Mommy 24/7" stage, it's also nice. Really nice. For both of us. So I have 4.75 hours all to myself tomorrow! WOW!?! Lunch anyone?

Oh, and by the way, it is officially COLD here. I know our "Texas cold" is not considered really "cold" up North. It evens out though as "hot" up North is nowhere close to our Texas hot come summer. Anyway, for me IT IS COLD! I want to wear sweats with thick socks, sip hot tea, and read by a fire all day long! Too bad life won't let me do that. But the sweats, socks, and tea are a must!

Hope you are snug as a bug in a rug wherever you are today!

5 comments:

TMK said...

It's cold down here in San Antonio too. Except the Mountain Cedar has got the best of me! The count is 18,500 and the usual right now is 2500. I'm miserable, but real warm in my bed. Stay warm!

SG said...

Yes the allergies are going nuts! Even EK is now on allergy meds!

Susan - said...

"our family we're not related to"

That is perfect. He nailed it.

I too am amazed that 4 kids can play together so well and so quietly.

Thanks again for giving us a "Plan B" that was equal to or better than "Plan A." We all had a wonderful time. As predicted, Jackson sobbed as we drove away.

SG said...

I have to add that on day 2 of MDO Ella Kate did run across the room, arms out stretched, saying "Mama" when I picked her up! And I love that! EK actually called me "mommy' the other day. It was a first! She has always just said Mama for me. But she also says Mama if she wants something. Some days everything is "mama". But Rob and I both clearly heard her say Mommy! Love that girl!

Mae said...

Jack said "mamamamamama" just yesterday! Some days with Hadlee I'm ready to change my name... just melts my heart with my baby boy learning to say it! He's also got Dada, Nono, & Nightnight down pat. Sigh, it's not going to slow down, is it?
I cleaned out his dresser the other day to make room for new clothes. When I got to the preemie sizes that were too big on him I had a mini breakdown. Sadness... Now he's in big sizes and almost grown out of his footed pajamas! MAKE IT STOP!!!
Can you tell my husband's out of town, the baby's sleeping and Hadlee is happy with her "Cwab and Muhmaid" movie(The Little Mermaid)?