Thursday, April 17, 2008

15? Really?

Yesterday I read something that just shocked me. I was reading this story about a Mom in Fort Worth who is in trouble for leaving her two young children in the car after she ran out of gas. She came back within an hour. She left them to go get help. I don't think leaving babies in a car on the side of the road is the smartest thing to do, but what shocked me were the last two paragraphs in the article.

State law prohibits a parent or guardian from leaving any child under 15 years old alone in a car or a home, particularly when there could be imminent danger and the child cannot fend for him or herself.

An offense is usually treated as a misdemeanor if the parent is in the vicinity. If not, the adult involved can be charged with a felony.


15 years old! I was babysitting in Texas at age 11 or 12! I have never heard of this law. In fact I once read that there is no set age in Texas and that it is at the decretion of peace officers and CPS to determine what is appropriate in each case. Does anyone know what law this reporter is referring to? What about all the Elementary/ Jr High age kids who walk home from school and stay alone until their parents get home? I think there is even a babysitting class at our local hospital for 12 and 13 year olds. The "in the car" part shocked me too. 15 years old seems really extreme to me. What do you think?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

According to this site, there is no such law. Check it out.

https://www.dfps.state.tx.us/Child_Protection/About_Child_Protective_Services/faqchildalone.asp

Susan - said...

I started babysitting at about 12 also. By 15 I was nearly through babysitting. That does not sound right.

Anonymous said...

The Texas Department of Family and Protective Services says:Leaving a child in a vehicle is punishable under the Texas Penal Code, Title 5, Chapter 22, Section 10 LEAVING A CHILD IN A VEHICLE. A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly leaves a child in a motor vehicle for longer than five minutes, knowing that the child is:

younger than seven years of age; and

not attended by an individual in the vehicle
who is 14 years of age or older. An offense under this section is a Class C misdemeanor. If the child is injured, the charge is then elevated to child endangerment, which is a felony. The penalties are six months to two years in jail and a fine up to $10,000.

Leaving a child unattended in a car is also a form of neglectful supervision.


So it seems that reporter is OFF. Why am I not surprised? ;)


https://www.dfps.state.tx.us/Child_Protection/About_Child_Protective_Services/faqchildalone.asp

Meredith said...

I thought the law was 11 for home. Cassidy is taking a babysitting class at the Y this summer, so if it is against the law, why are they offering the class?!

SG said...

Exactly my point to Meredith! I think if 15 is the law they need to tell parents. I had never heard that. How are we supposed to know? I think the link Shannon and anon found are right but I would like to know for sure. I think I will e-mail the reporter.

Beaner said...

I think in Illinois you have to be 10 yrs. old to stay home alone for a short period of time, like a couple hours, and 13 to babysit....but it is SO hard to find out the actual LAWS! Why IS that? Can't they just spell it out for us?

BTW - I'm drinking a glass of wine tonight as I was just reading all of Mike Cope's comments - ironic? I almost posted, but thought better of it - it all seems absurd to me, but I am not in any Christian College circles, and I didn't grow up CofC, so I don't have all the history/baggage!

Anonymous said...

I do not think I was off. As I read the law on the site referenced above, I read that it is illegal to leave children under the age of 15 alone in a home or car. I blogged about it here. Thanks for watching.

http://www.wfaa.com/video/videoblog-index.html?nvid=236429