Monday, August 11, 2008

Crowned

This post began last Friday and was revised and revised. I decided to re-publish it today.

“For the LORD takes delight in his people; he crowns the humble with salvation.” (Psalm 149:4)

Last Saturday I briefly mentioned Johnny Stalling's death. This past Tuesday Kolby, Sari and I were honored to attend Johnny's funeral in Paris, Texas. It was a bittersweet afternoon. Sweet because we know Johnny is forever happy and will feel no pain. Also sweet because so many funny, happy memories and sentiments were shared. But it was bitter because all that was said made it even more obvious how special Johnny was and how much he will be missed. Earth's loss is truly Heaven's gain. I am comforted though with thoughts of Johnny now in heaven in his big, strong, tall, healthy angel body tossing a football to the nearest Angelic Alabama fan!

There is no doubt in my mind that Johnny has gone home and received his heavenly crown. I remember hearing Coach say "Johnny has a one way ticket to heaven." He finally cashed that ticket in. The Psalm above could have been written for Johnny. He was humble. I also have no doubt that the Lord takes delight in Johnny Stallings... Johnny delighted those here on Earth lucky enough to know him for 46 years! Johnny might not have been able to read or count past 10, but he had a heart and love for people (and football) that out shined any disabilities. You just felt better after being with Johnny.

For days I've tried to put my thoughts about Johnny into words, but I can't find words that mean enough. After a dozen drafts I've decided to let someone else speak for me. I suggest you read this article "All I Need to Know I learned from Johnny Stallings" from the Paris, Texas newspaper. I don't know the author, but I know exactly what he meant when he wrote this article!

I'll miss the Johnny hugs that always came with a familiar "My friend Steve-nee" greeting! My friend Johnny... I'm a better person knowing him. Goodbye sweet Johnny!

These Youtube videos are about 6-10 years old but they still make me smile... and now maybe cry a little too!







If you would like to leave a comment or note for the family, I believe you can do so
on this site
for the Starett Funeral home in Paris, Texas. On Johnny's page go to Tributes and then to "Condolences and Tributes"

2 comments:

SG said...

PS If I could have any voice on the planet I know exactly whose voice I would want...
Beyonce? No.
Celine Dion? No.
Charlotte Church? No.
Sara Brightman? No.
I would want the voice of Ruth Ann Stalling! Her voice just sounds like laughter. You should watch that last video just to hear her speak. Her voice is like cotton candy dipped in dark chocolate! Love you Ms Ruth Ann!

Meredith said...

Those are great videos! I love Mrs. Stalling's voice, too. Such a wonderful family! God bless them as they cope with their loss of Johnny.