Tuesday, August 26, 2008

First day of 1st and 5th

Well, they're gone.
After much hustle and bustle, my oldest two are safely in their school classrooms learning new rules and new routines from new faces.
The house is strangely quiet.
Ella Kate is watching PBS with her "E" and "chawk-it" milk. She can watch whatever she wants. As sad as she was to leave Rhett at school, she seems happy to be the sole princess in the castle.
The remains of breakfast pizza are in the frig.
The calendar has writing on almost every day.
Just 6 hours until I need to leave to pick up carpool.
Those hours will fly by for I have
errands to run,
laundry to do,
places to clean,
food to cook....
Ready or not, summer is over and another school year has begun!
I'm both happy and sad about that, but mostly happy.
It's good to get back into a routine.
It's so good that my kids have good schools full of good friends and great teachers.
We are blessed.
It just can't be summer all year long.
We need to accomplish things
and grow
and learn.
The seasons of our lives change to nurture us
just as the seasons change to renew and replenish the Earth.
It's a good thing.
So why am I all emotional and teary eyed?

Sometimes I fear these days are going by too fast.
I don't want to miss anything.
I wish there was a way to put the days in the deep freeze, to be defrosted and fully enjoyed later in life when the kids are out of my nest.
But that's just not how life works.
I guess we have to squeeze every ounce of joy out of the minute we have when we have it,
because it will not be here again.
So...
I'm off! I have a baby to rock, a house to clean, and the staple of my life, LAUNDRY!
No matter what the date or season, there is always laundry to be done!

Hope you are having a great day whatever season life finds you in. Happy 8-26-08!
It's the only 8-26-08 we will ever see!
ENJOY!

Oh, and I almost forgot... Here are our traditional first day of school pictures!
Couldn't post without them!

My babies.

My school age babies.

Crazy kids!

Off to the INTERMEDIATE SCHOOL! No more walking her in and getting a picture with her teacher on the first day. Just off she went with her friend Devon! Car-pool on the first day! She is growing up so fast!

At least we could still walk Rhett in and get a picture with his teacher, even though he said we could just drop him off. AS IF! I've only got five years of elementary school with you buddy... I'm not giving up a minute of it!

9 comments:

Jacinda said...

drop him off on the first day? WHATEVER! He should know you better than that! They look lovely! Hope they have a great first day!

Julie said...

You're KILLING me here with the SONG!!! It's not enough that it made me cry in Mama Mia...

I'm totally feelin'ya on the emotions of the first day of school. After visiting with a mom today whose babies are in high school (she's shopping for GPS devices for their cars to track them!!! Ughhh!), I am wanting to just camp out in this Elemenentary age for a LONG TIME...and enjoy every minute.
I'm off to play Rock Band with the kids before soccer practice.

Your kids look adorable...
Love, J

Emily said...

I agree...they grow up WAY to fast.
Hope everyone had a great first day!

HW said...

Yes, the days always go too quickly; but I love the freezing the days concept.
Mine are both in high school now and it's very emotional for me.
I LOVE Kolby's haircut - so grown up.

elizabeth said...

Hope you had a great first day!

Amee said...

Stephanie,
I check your blog every now and again, hope you don't mind. I enjoy reading your post! I love Kolby's hair cut, it looks really cute on her. I hope you and the kids are enjoying back to school!

Anonymous said...

You are such a great writer! Thanks for making me tear up!! Aubrie is now a Sophomore and only 3 years away from ACU~ Morgan in 8th and Hayden with Kolby in 5th. Time flies even faster when they are gone 3 nights a week till 10 or eleven playing Volleyball! ha
Have a fun semester and thanks for the playlist I always listen to as I grade papers~ keep writing and putting on your favorite tunes~ there are many of us out there who are checkin' in!
Lex Ann

SG said...

Amee,
I love hearing from you! You can read my blog anytime! :)

I guess in my non-blogging mode I forgot to showcase Miss Kolby's new hair! Our friend "stacked' the back the other night and it is even cuter now. We love it because it is EZ and Kolby is even learning to use a flat iron on it!!! YAY! I admit I'm more excited than sad at the prospect of having one less head of hair to do!

SG said...

Lex Ann,
HOLD UP! Aubrie is just 3 years away from ACU??? That seems impossible!
I thought about you while we were in Abilene but had too many kids with me and it was so stinking HOT! But if we come for Homecoming or Sing Song I'd love to see you and your kids! :) Happy back to school to you!
Stephanie