Friday, August 29, 2008

Standing on my soapbax feeling Swiss...

When I was in 10th grade I decided that if I had to live outside of the US, I wanted to live in Switzerland. Surprisingly, it wasn't the Alps, Swatches, or that incredible Swiss chocolate that made me think that Switzerland would be a sweet place to hang my hat. No. Believe it or not, it was the Geneva Conventions.

Because historically the Swiss have been neutral, their country was able to arbitrate when the world was at war. When warring nations decided to talk, they headed to Switzerland. Switzerland is home to many United Nations agencies and headquarters for the International Red Cross. (Then there are all those Swiss bank accounts...) As a rule, the Swiss don't seem to compete with the world. I like that.

You see, by nature I am not a competitive person. Therefore, Switzerland's neutral stand deeply appeals to me. Sure you can be too neutral. But in theory at least, Switzerland seems to know how to do something few other nations have been able to do in the last 200 years... not take sides. They have not been involved a war since 1815. I admire that. (And I have to wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that Zurich and Geneva have respectively been ranked as having the first and second highest quality of life in the world or the fact that despite it's size, Switzerland is one of the richest countries in the world by per capita Gross Domestic Product.)

Of course I love my country and thank God that I live here. (See this post if you want to read me ramble on about that more.) I'm not a USA basher. I can't stand that. But the competitive spirit of the US goes against my nature. I like to win and I like my team to win, but winning is not everything. I'm not really into keeping up with the Jones. If your child wins every award in the world and mine doesn't, I'm still happy for you. I like my 7 year old to play sports, but if he misses one game to go somewhere fun...who cares?! I'm happy when the Cowboys win, but when they loose, it's just a game and it doesn't get me down. That highly competitive spirit just (usually) doesn't flow through my veins. In the past however, there have been three areas of exception to my non-competitiveness: politics, religion, and Scrabble.

I have openly confessed on this blog to debating Baptist kids during lunch in elementary school over whether Jesus was born on Christmas Day and instrumental music. That's so embarrassing now, but I was young! In college I realized God didn't call me to "win debates or souls for him." He calls me to show every soul his love, grace and compassion and let Him win them. It's not my competition.

Then there's politics. I smile when I think of the passion I felt when I discovered politics in the 9th grade! The Ronald Reagan years! Oh was I sure that Republicans were right and that Democrats were going to ruin the world!!! Again it was in college that that changed. A Republican running for Governor made a totally tasteless off-hand remark that in my eyes was not only completely unjustifiable, it was completely unforgivable. I could not vote for him. Ditching my fellow Young Republicans, I openly supported and voted for the "liberal" female Democrat. AND I celebrated when she won! (an ACU buddy of mine still calls me "Governor " because of this.) It was about that time that I changed my major from Political Science to Communications/Elementary education. The world of politics seemed too dirty for a Christian girl like me whose most cherished dream in life was to be a stay-home Mom.

Of course politics can still get my dander up. I was pretty passionate about the last two Presidential elections. However, the talk and acidic rhetoric of both political parties turns my stomach. If I listen to Rush for 20 minutes, I am embarrassed for all conservatives. He doesn't represent me. But I am equally repulsed by the Democrat's talking heads.

So in the midst of this historic presidential election, I am feeling rather Swiss. I'm well aware that being neutral won't make you popular with Democrats or Republicans. (As I predict will be shown by the lack of comments on this post.) American politics encourage a "pick sides and win at all cost" attitude. But I can't get there. I don't think that either candidate is all evil or angelic. Both are great men. Both have incredible stories and families. Both have probably sacrificed their convictions for their parties at times and stood their ground other times. Both are putting their health, happiness, and families at risk by running for President. Both are good Americans. Both love their country. Yes, I know many of you will not agree with at least half of what I just said. But in this age of 24 hours news with politicians having every move/word/expression analyzed and criticized, would anyone run for President if they didn't love America? No, I don't think so. McCain and Obama may have different ideals, different ways of seeing a problem, and different solutions, but neither want to see America go to hell in a hand basket. And quite frankly, I do not believe either would take us there.

Actually I wish they could both be president. I wish they would be forced to work together as a team. I held out hope that McCain would pick Liberman as a running mate till the end. I would vote for a maverick Republican Christian and a former Democratic/ now Independent Jew for no other reason than I think their administration could actually do something, even if if made everyone mad at first. An administration composed of two parties would also reflect what I think is the neglected truth of our two party system. When I examine the voting and stances of the members who make up those parties, I see that there is more difference within each party than there is between the parties. However, both parties spend so much time arguing about what they don't agree on, and on who is "right" for America, that the fact that they are more similar than different is lost. To me that is sad as it unnecessarily further divides our nation.

So while the most of America picks a side and spends the next two and half months trying to out-scream the opponent, right or wrong, I find myself in the lonely position of rooting for both of them. Though historically I tend to agree with Republicans, (Because I believe our government is too big & I used to be a card carrying member of the RNC) I'm not sure who I will vote for. But either way, I don't plan to shout it from the mountain tops, because I honestly admire both men. (And equally despise each party!) When it's all over, I'll feel joy for one and sadness for the other because they are both good leaders who love our country. America needs both of them to truly be America.

Notice I never touched on that third vein of competitiveness... Do you think they play Scrabble in Switzerland?

Have a great, long Labor Day Weekend!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You don't like Palin?

SG said...

Oh no! I'm glad you asked! I totally like Sarah Palin. AND I am not at all surprised that McCain picked her. McCain has been in politics a long time and he's not your conventional play it safe politician. He is a maverick and so is she. I'm very impressed that the Republican party has those two on the ticket!

Suzanne said...

This is a great post Stephanie! I feel the same way and could not have said it any better than you just did. I have no idea who I am going to vote for and my parents would die if they thought I might vote for Obama!:) I don't know if I could actually do it but I do really like some things about him. Have a great weekend!

Suzanne

Darren Duvall said...

Wimp! Get off the sidelines!

(Kidding)

To be honest, the 24-hour news cycle is probably what has turned people off to politics. You can't have flaws and run for office, which means that what we end up with (on both sides) are candidates who bug us at a basic level -- there's just something *not right* about people without problems, you know?

What's more, there is no respect for people on the other side. Opponents have gone from being 'wrong' on the issues to being deliberately and intentionally evil. This is a real turn-off for many people.

Me personally? I'm looking at a major tax increase if Obama is elected. I'm voting my pocketbook.

But ultimately, as our minister reminds us often, we will not be saved by the result in November. Politics is fun and all, but it's not big-I-important in the long run, if you know what I mean (and from your post, I believe you do).

Meredith said...

I liked Lieberman, too. I do like Palin, though. I wish we could all support who we want to support and not have everyone else trying to convince us we are wrong. Good post!

Nellie said...

Excellent post! When are we leaving for Switzerland? :)

Susan - said...

I can't disagree, but I am surprised.

Unknown said...

Hi--
I found your blog through Tracy Freeman and Facebook. That was so insightful!

I'm curious--I live in Hewitt/Waco and am starting a monthly book club for women and was wondering if you're interested. Here are the details:
http://waco.craigslist.org/com/809759972.html

Hope you can come!
Kara Alexander (karalexander@yahoo.com)

Julie said...

Do you still feel the same way after both conventions? Just curious...
And did you see that tribute video to McCain's life? Just wondering...

One of the best quotes I heard came from McCain during his speech. He said "if you have complaints about the poor, education, health care, etc, then get involved. Volunteer in a soup kitchen, tutor at your local school, become a nurse... do something about it where you live." If we all did just that - and truly followed what the Lord wants us all to do for others - our government, as well as our taxes, would be smaller, and all of our lives would be richer. It's not about the goverment solving our nations problems. It's about each of us opening our eyes to the problems around us and doing our part. I believe our founding fathers built this government to acually govern - pass laws, carry them out, etc. I don't believe they created it to take over caring for the poor. God is clear that that job belongs to us - the people - the church.
Maybe if the govement could get back to actually governing, politics would be interesting again to all the people who have lost interest. (I don't happen to be one of them at the moment :)

God bless America!