Monday, August 18, 2008

What a Week!

WOW! I can not believe that it has only been a week since I blogged! We have managed to get a lot of living in this last week.

The kids and I went to Abilene last Tuesday through Thursday with my Mom, Aunt, cousins, and their 5 kids. If you are trying to add that up, it's 5 adults and 8 kids in two hotel rooms! It was an adventure to say the least! Sadly, I had a horrible case of stomach issues come the day we were supposed to leave and started the trip out on a bad foot. I got OK enough to get us there but had little energy beyond that. However the kids had a great time staying with their cousins in the Embassy, which has a new name I don't remember just now. (I think I have stayed in that hotel at least 2 dozen times in my life. Lots of memories!) We were able to see my Mom's uncle and cousins who we haven't seen in a long time, which was the main reason for the trip. We were also able to sneak in a quick visit to ACU and Perini Ranch.
Perini Ranch
ACU has changed so much since I started there as a Freshman 20 years ago this month! (Did I really just type that? 20 years??? WOW!)

ACU has become a really pretty campus WITH TREES AND GREEN GRASS! I barely recognized parts of it, while other parts just felt like home. Again, so many memories!
I have not been to Abilene in 5 years so it was a nice trip.
Gata Fountain looks very different!
My old mailbox looks just the same!
I hope we can go back to ACU for Sing Song and Homecoming more and more in the next few years. Kolby is determined that she will go to college there while Rhett says he's considering it. I know where my paycheck will go when I go back to work!

Thursday we drove back just in time to go get Kolby's class schedule for the Intermediate School. 5TH Grade! I can't believe she won't be with her brother at our little elementary any more! Kolby is in the green block as several friends from her old school and one of her best little church friends is in the block right next to hers so they will have the same lunch. Kolby is feeling pretty good about it all. WHAT A RELIEF! You have no idea. Kolby had a hard time last year when she ended up in a class separate from every one of her good little girl friends. She did fine, but we have been praying hard for Kolby to have some friendly faces in her classes as she starts the big INTERMEDIATE school. We are all so excited about her placement!

Friday we tried to recover from our big week and I worked on Rhett's room a little. Saturday the kids had some birthday parties and I spent the majority of the day at Rhett's school where we had our first semi-big PTA event... The school supply & yearbook pick-up/ TEAM SVE TAILGATE PARTY!

The event was great. I loved working with my PTA pals and seeing school friends again. I'm so happy and excited about the PTA board and all the fun we are going to have doing great things for our little school this year! I think I have said it before, but these women are the best! I love being around them and we all work really well together. It's a PTA dream team! I feel very blessed to be a part of this group. GO TEAM SVE!

Saturday Rob had a little accident in the attic. He doesn't want me to talk about it so I'll let this picture speak for itself.

(Yes, that is our living room ceiling.) The good news is Rob is OK and walked away with just some bruises on his leg (and ego)! Anyone know a good drywall guy?

Sunday after church, we tried to implement the day of rest and we did have a few hours of down time. However, Rob and I both have such a long to-do lists that we want/need to get lots done before school starts. We ended up working in Rhett's room the majority of the afternoon and night. The good news is we got a lot done! We only have two big things left to do and I hope to get those knocked out before Rhett's birthday on September 5th.

School starts a week from tomorrow for us. It looks like another full week ahead! Have a great last week of summer!

5 comments:

Lindsay said...

I was so upset when I found out we missed the Tail gating party at school! Oh well, we find out Wednesday who Madalyn's teacher is and get to meet her on Thursday! CAN'T WAIT!

HW said...

I've never been to ACU but it looks like a beautiful campus. I went to Harding and the changes are beautiful but, when I visit, I'm most comfortable in the "old" parts of the campus that were home to me.

My children started school today. They are back in the same building again, but it's because my baby started high school. I just put a post up about it. I am likely to fall apart any minute as my heart is still in my throat. My how quickly time goes by.

Anonymous said...

I am JEALOUS that you all still have ONE MORE WEEK of summer left! We've been in school since July 30!!!! Enjoy it. :)

Mae

Laura said...

Sorry you weren't feeling up to coming with the rest of the crew last Tuesday. Your favorite aunt told me you were sick and described your ailment in a very colorful way! Hope you see you soon!

SG said...

Laura I was SSSOOOO disappointed that I could not see you on the way...It was even my idea to stop and see you guys in the first place! But it was one of those things that couldn't be helped. I truly hope you and your bunch will come see us soon. Or maybe we'll see you for a wedding! :)