Thursday, December 03, 2009

Beauty is in the Eye of the Be Holder

Yesterday we found out that Kolby was one of four 6th graders from her school to advance to the next level of PTA's National Reflections Contest. We of course are so proud her for entering and her creativity. She did a great job taking and editing her picture. And YES, she did it all on her own. (As her Mom, it's OK to toot her horn.. Right? :)


The theme this year was "Beauty is..." Students could enter their original works of Literature, Visual Arts, Photography, Film Production, Music Composition, or Dance Choreography. In 5th grade it was a grade for Venture students, but in 6th grade it was voluntary. Here is the photo Kolby entered and the required artist statement she wrote to go with it.





Required Artist Statement:

Beauty Is In the Eye of the “Be” Holder

My photograph is titled “Beauty Is In The Eye Of The “Be” Holder.” In this picture my little sister is holding the word “be”. There are two different types of beauty reflected in this picture.

First, the eyes of my little sister are beautiful to me. I always wanted a little sister but my parents wanted to stop after my little brother was born. I kept praying for a sister, and I was so happy when she was born. She is a beautiful little girl with light bluish green eyes.

The second way I see beauty in this picture does not have to do with looks. There is beauty in the fact that someday my sister will be able to choose whatever she wants to be. My sister holds the power “to be” in her little fingers just like she is holding the word. All little girls have that power. In other times and in other countries, little girls did not have the choice to be what they wanted to be. I think that it is very special that we have the choice to be whatever we want to be.

There is beauty in my sister and beauty in the power to choose what you want to be. That is why I choose to take a picture that says “Beauty Is In The Eye Of The “Be” Holder” for this project.


We are so proud of you Miss Kolby and feel blessed to be your parents!

For those who haven't known us long, you need to read this post (skip down to the highlighted part) to understand part of why I'm so proud of Kolby.  She's come a long way baby!


4 comments:

Aggiema (Michelle) said...

Awesome! Way to go Kolby! Toot away Mama, you have every right to be proud!

Melissa W said...

I'll bet it goes all the way to national competition!

Lindsay said...

That is amazing! Kolby you are a special big sister to EK and someone that my Madalyn looks up to!

Nellie said...

Awesome! All of you should be very proud. The picture and the commentary should go in the memory book for both of your girls.