Saturday, May 07, 2005

Catch up

Where to start? So much to say since I last really posted. First a few updates...

The Gate Kids
After posting about the gate kids a few weeks ago, I e-mailed Berkley and Charlotte Hackett who I worked for in Nairobi those two summers so long ago. The Hacketts quickly became two of my favorite people during my first trip to Kenya. I'm not sure what I thought the "missionary type" was when I arrived in Nairobi, but Berkley was not at all what I envisioned a missionary to be. Berkley is bigger than life in some respects. The things God has accomplished through the Hacketts work in Nairobi over the last 30 years is just astounding.

Berkley And Charlotte Hackett

The Hacketts have braved revolutions, uprisings, government sanctions, and many, many legal an political storms over the years. Their work has produced an amazing church and technical college just a mile or so away from one of the worlds largest slums.. Mathari Valley. Their work has not always gone with out controversy. They have ruffled some feathers in Africa and the US. Berkley is a rebel in some ways, but not one with out a cause. Make no mistake, Berkley Hackett's heart is consumed with a God given love for the people, particularly the young people, of Nairobi. He and Charlotte may not be your typical missionaries, but through Christ they have dedicated their lives to the salvation and betterment of their adopted family in Kenya.

Not your typical Missionary
It took about a week or so, but I heard from Berkley. Here is an excerpt from his e-mail:

Njeri is now a senior in high school and Wachira is a sophomore. They haven't had overseas support to help them in over ten years. If you find someone to help these kids it would be great. Charlotte and I have done
what we could but with so much to do we can't do much. In fact we lost a good deal of our support in 2003 and are yet to gain it back. I could, of course, go back to the States for a few months, visit lots of people
and churches and rebuild the support base but we're no longer comfortable leaving the work and the people who depend on us for an extended period. So instead of that we go along the best we can, cutting good works that deserve to be supported. Right now Wachira has a $350.00 debt at the high school and is in danger of being expelled. Njeri is only $200.00 behind.




Eastleigh C of C in Nairobi and the KCITI Campus

I am very happy and a bit relieved to hear that the kids are OK and still in school. Even if they don't get to finish, having some high school education will give them a great advantage over many in Nairobi. Still, I hope they are able to finish school and really rise above their circumstances. It really saddens me to know that Berkley and Charlotte have had to cut good programs and not been able to give aid to the people they have loved and stayed with for so long because of whatever happened in 2003. I'm not sure what all happened in 2003. From the tidbits I have heard, it was an ugly church split that happened between the missionaries in Kenya. Missionaries are not immune to church politics and splits. I hope to find out more and perhaps start actively seeking aid for my precious African kids! E-mail me if you have any thoughts or insights in to this situation.

On the home front

Back here in Texas, things have been busy, as usual. There has been one thing on my heart and mind for the last few months that I have not been comfortable blogging about until now. I am just now to the point I don''t get all weepy when talking about it. It seems that Kolby may be dyslexic. She has not been formally diagnosed but, we are currently going through that process. Her teacher and I know that something is wrong and she shows many signs of dyslexia. There is a big discrepancy between Kolby's intellect and reading level.

It has been a heart breaking thing to watch unfold. I hate watching my sweet, bright, social, sensitive little girl struggle so hard. It kills me to hear her say that she is "reading dumb" and to painfully help her through her homework, AR books, and spelling words each night. I hate to see the gap widening between where she is and where she needs to be. I hate that her incredible little self-confidence has taken some very hard hits. BUT we still have much to be grateful for, even in this difficult situation.

As her wonderfully sweet teacher has told me time and again, Kolby is very, very bright. Socially and orally she is way ahead of the average first grader. She loves school. She wants to learn and she knows that she is smart even though she doesn't understand why she can't read as fast and easily as her classmates. Incredibly, Kolby has made mostly A's with just a few B's this year. That speaks to her ability to adapt and the coping skills she has developed on her own. But the time has come for her to get some help dealing with this... and we will get her that help! Because she is only seven, there is a great chance that she will be able to fully compensate for this reading disorder, once she is taught the right skills and techniques.

Finding help, the exact right help for Kolby, has become my focus for the last few weeks. It isn't as clear cut and easy as it may sound. We have talked to many, many wise and wonderful people who deal with this sort of thing professionally everyday. Most of them have very different views on what is best for Kolby. We are having to educate ourselves very quickly, and try to weed out what is truly best for our little girl.

Everyone agrees that we must do something now and that this summer will be crucial if we hope to close the gap and get Kolby where she needs to be to start second grade. Because she has done well in school and has no "educational need" everything we are doing, or will do, will have to be done privately and outside of the school system for now. I'm actually very grateful for this as I do not want Kolby labeled or singled out if it can be avoided.

Of course the downside to that is that we will have to pay or find funding for any programs, camps, tutors or evaluations that need to be done. All these things can be rather pricey. For example I have about $2000 dollars worth of options right now just for this summer. We can not afford all of these, and Kolby could not possibly participate in every one of these things as there are only so many hours in the day! So I am trying to find what will help her the most and give us the most "bang" for the buck. I really covet your prayers for this process.

In the mean time, we really have to work with Kolby with her homework. Spelling is a nightly chore. Unlike her classmates who just look over the list a few minutes the night before, (or so their mothers say) Kolby has to go over and over the words and sentences every night to be able to get a B on her Friday test. It really frustrates her. Last week after an especially frustrating time with spelling and reading homework, Kolby crawled in my lap and sobbed "I don't want you to be my teacher, I just want you to be my Mommy." It broke my heart. I so just wish she was three again and school was just her beloved preschool "turtle" class. My spunky three year old toddler somehow turned into a seven year old school girl. It happened so very, very fast! I look at my two years left before Rhett starts school with new eyes. I want to make the most of it!
Kolby's dsylexia came as quite a shock to my motherly pride. Up until this year, everything has come easily for Kolby. Starting at age two, every year her teachers have told me that she was one of the brightest kids in class. I never thought she would have problems reading, in fact, I thought I had done everything to instill a life long love of reading. But more than our parental pride has taken a hit as we have run the gamut of emotion during all this. There has been regret, wondering if something could have been done to prevent this. There has been guilt, thinking that I saw the signs and ignored them for months. I have been angry because my little girl has to deal with this. I have felt cheated as all this seems so unfair to her. I have stressed and worried about what this would mean for Kolby's future. I have cried at seeing her feel broken and defeated when unable to read as fast and as accurately as she wants to. Now I am at a point of acceptance and my focus has shifted to coping and making the best of this.

I truly believe that Kolby can and will overcome dyslexia and be a better person for it! Rob and I will do what ever it takes to get her the help she needs. We have all of our family backing and supporting us. I know that every person must struggle. Struggling is part of life, every life, even my little girl's life. I firmly believe that the God who blessed us with this wonderful little girl will help her and us through this latest challenge. I pray we all learn from this and further appreciate our God given blessings and abilities. I know there are much, much worse things that could happen. Dyslexia is not something that has to ruin a life. And it really helps to know that God has our back! So even if I mess up, God loves Kolby and Rhett more than I ever could and he will not abandon them. I always thought having children would bring me closer to God...I just had no idea how close.

So that's the update. Seems my heart and mind are consumed with my kids..both here and abroad. This post is so long it will take a few days to read. I'll check back in around Wednesday! I have missed getting to "chat" regularly with my blog world friends. I really appreciate the e-mails from those making sure we were still here and OK. We are! Now I am off to surf my blog list to see what the rest of you have been up to. See you soon in blog world! : )

8 comments:

Donna G said...

There is nothing more frustrating as a mother than not being able to "fix" everything. Kolby has a lot of plusses going for her, the main one is she "wants" to do better. My daughter has a less definable learning disability and turned it into an "I don't care" attitude about school. She is a wonderful person and very bright, but she does not learn in the "traditional" way.

You will overcome this. God will see you through and you and Kolby will learn a dependence on him. I will keep you in my prayers.

Clarissa said...

Oh, dear. I'm sorry Kolby is struggling. But you are just the kind of parents that she needs to guide her. Hopefully you'll soon find some answers as to what will work best for her mind's unique way of processing what she sees.

I imagine you'll learn a lot of fascinating things about the human brain over the next few months. I read once that there are actually some people who battle dyslexia that are helped by covering their reading material with colored cellophane. Amazing. I don't understand how that could make a difference! The human mind is so complex.

Jenni said...

Oh my. Definitely will be praying that you find a solution that works for Kolby and that she can learn to power through while she masters a new way to learn! Good thing she is so bright and you discovered this now, rather than years down the road when the frustration was completely overwhelming!

MDM said...

Thanks so much for sharing SG. You have my prayers. Kolby sounds so determined and so does her mom. I know your summer will be productive for you and your little girl. Take care and keep us posted. GORGEOUS pics too...

Beaner said...

My son is in Kindergarten this year & he is really allergic to peanuts. There is 1 other girl in his grade who is also allergic, so at lunch they have to sit at the "Peanut-Free Table". This completely broke my heart, even though it was reassuring that they were keeping the nuts away. I just thought he was going to be ostracized & have no friends - I cried thinking of him sitting there all alone. Well.....it seems his teacher has had to come up with a "friend schedule" of who can sit by him on each day because so many kids want to sit with him now. Now the tears are tears of joy...and what a great problem to have! I hope that one day soon your tears of sadness will turn to tears of joy for Kolby. Sounds like she's got the PERFECT mom - you couldn't prevent it, you can't change it, but you can be proactive & help & that's just what yu're doing! Hang in there & she'll do great!

Mae said...

Strength and prayers for you all as Kolby learns to live and work through the dyslexia. I found a list of famous people who have battled the same thing:

Picasso
DaVinci
Thomas Edison
George Washington
George H.W. Bush
Winston Churchill
Albert Einstein
Hans Chirstian Anderson
Woodrow Wilson
Hanry Winkler
Salma Hayek
Anthony Hopkins
Tom Cruise
Jay Leno
Whoopi Goldberg
Danny Glover
Neil Bush (George's son)
Agatha Christe
Harry Belafonte
George Burns
Majic Johnson
Greg Louganis
Nolan Ryan

You can check out www.dyslexiaonline.com for some more information. It was really neat to read and see very up-to-date info on this!

SG said...

Such sweet blog friends and comments! Thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers. I find it comforting to talk about this and finally get it all out there. Please continue to pray that we will be able to get Kolby the specific help she needs!

Susan - said...

You know that we will be praying for Kolby and all of you as you do what you need to do this summer. Life was so much simpler in the "Turtle" class, wasn't it? That brought tears to my eyes. I have every confidence that with you in her corner, Kolby is going to be just fine. Knowing her, she will become a lecturer some day: "Dyslexia: Early Detection and Intervention."

(Love the pictures!)