Friday, May 13, 2005

Window into another

I stumbled on a new blog to read a few weeks ago. http://www.stevenkiel.blogspot.com/ Steven Keil is in the reserves and serving in Iraq. I don't know him at all but I am drawn to his blog. It reminds me daily how grateful we should be to the men and women who represent our nation in Iraq. They put their lives on the line everyday in hopes of a better world. No matter what your political preference, you have to respect our fighting men and women abroad.

Most blogs I read are written by people I know, or people who know people I know. Most are Christians. All are Americans. It occured to me the other day that blogs give us the opportunity to gain insight into people who are totally different from us. Maybe that is why I occasionally visit Rosies blog, or the blog of a single girl living in NYC who I have never met , or the blog of a retired journalist dealing with MS that I happened to come across one day. I think it is fascinating to see life from different perspectives. I have this tool of the web and blogs. If I don't abuse it, or let my opinions and prejudices blind me, I have a the chance to see the world through someone elses eyes. It's the techno version of walking a mile in someone else's sandals. Pretty cool!

I have warned and whined before about my experience with "next blog" button. ( see 9-21-04 for that story) The warning still stands. But maybe gaining insight into others is worth the risk. If you have found some blogs that give you insight into a different view of life, let me know. I would love to check them out!

2 comments:

Donna G said...

I enjoy reading other people, other nations, other ethnic backgrounds. I would send you links, but they are at the office.

You know dieting is only an analogy to spiritual life. You don't have to do one to be successful at the other!

Beaner said...

This isn't a blog, but this is a really funny website w/Christian-themed comics similar to the Far Side.

http://www.reverendfun.com/index.php?date=20050512

Enjoy!!!