Monday, May 09, 2005

Senility Smiles

Two elderly women were eating breakfast in a restaurant one morning. Ethel noticed something funny about Mabel's ear and she said, '"Mabel, did you know you've got a suppository in your left ear?" Mabel answered, "I have a suppository?" She pulled it out and stared at it.Then she said, "Ethel, I'm glad you saw this thing. Now I think I know where my hearing aid is."

I got this joke in an e-mail and had to run to the restroom as I was laughing so hard! I know most of you are still trying to get through yesterdays novel long post so I'll keep it short today.

This joke is especially funny to me because I have been surrounded by older people most of my life. Yesterday we went to see Nana at the home for Mothers day. We took her a card, flowers, pictures of the kids. Funny how time changes things. A few years a go we would have carted Nana out of there a made a big to do over the whole day. Yesterday it was a quick visit after church. A few years ago if she had constantly asked where my grandfather was and when she could go home I would have left in tears. A few years ago if I was told that someone had taken her "Beautiful" perfume AGAIN, I would have been fuming. If Nana had not known my kids or my husband a few years ago, I would have been crushed. But yesterday all that happened and we went on like nothing had happened at all.

You have to smile at all this or just ignore it, or you end up crying all the time. I have been down that road and found it leads to nowhere good. So, we make light of it and laugh. Heard any good nursing home jokes lately?

4 comments:

Mae said...

I haven't heard any good nursing home jokes, but yesterday my papa was telling a story about how he got a sow drunk and about moving his grandpa's moonshine and whiskey distillery so "the law" wouldn't find it.

Keep laughing.

Anonymous said...

My grandmother constantly introduces me to all the workers at the nursing home and then says, "Can you believe she's 41?" I don't think I'll remind her in a month that I've turned 42! Thursday night, there was a new lady sitting at the dinner table. She had moved from Colorado where she had at one time had her own radio show. She was a very interesting woman and she didn't complain at all when I was introduced to her about 6 times. I'll be there one day, I guess.

Donna G said...

I've go one I will e-mail you...

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

LOVE THAT JOKE!!!! In a related story--did you know that Harold Lipford swallowed his hearing aide last year? Yep--he thought it was a pill and then when he went to put his hearing aide in, he realized where it was. They actually had to do surgery to get it out so that the battery acid wouldn't do damage. Geez. That is something that would totally happen to me.