Thursday, May 12, 2005

SAALLUUTE to Summer

Have you ever seen the Office Depot commercial where a Dad is skipping down the aisle to "It's the most wonderful time of the year" putting school supplies in his shopping basket while his two children slowly and begrudgingly follow with very long faces? It usually starts playing mid-August. It always makes me laugh... but I am not that parent at all! I really love when my kids are out of school. I am always sorry to see their vacations come to an end. So just like the kids, I can not wait for summer to be here.

We have big plans, but nothing so big it is in permanent ink on the calendar. I love summer because you don't have to have big plans down on paper. Maybe it is because I grew up the daughter of a teacher, but for me summer is a time to do all those projects there is no time to do during the rest of the year. It is a time to travel, sleep late, and laze around the pool. It is a time to rest, re-do and organize. It is the time to toss the daytimer and just let the days come as they will. Not to sound like a song from Grease, but I long for those Summer nights!

Summer nights have always been my favorite. Summer nights are all about fireflies, baseball games, and star watching. Summer nights are times for watching the sun set over the water with the sting of a slight sun burn on your shoulders and the promise of staying out late and sleeping past breakfast the next morning. Summer nights are for movies, late night strolls and making out! Summer nights are about sleeping with the windows open and letting crickets and toads sing you to sleep. Though I despise heat and sweating, is there anything better than a shaved ice snowcone on a hot afternoon? Ah summer! I can't wait! Just nine more school days till summer!

5 comments:

Deana Nall said...

I'm not sure I'm looking forward to this summer because Jenna wasn't born until after Julia started kindergarten this year so this summer I will really find out what it's like to be a mother of two!

Donna G said...

Man, you make me long for school days, just where I can be out for the summer! Or at least a job that is off for the summer.... but alas I must work, so I will just look forward to vacation... A cruise to the Bahamas.. Oh Summer!!

elizabeth said...

Every morning when the alarm goes off I fantasize about the summer!

Thanks for reminding me of the exciting things of summer!

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

You know much you and I both love Summer. I LOVED THIS POST!!!!

Clarissa said...

Yes, Brandon loves summer so much that he wants to eat outside when it's NINETY-TWO DEGREES. I'm still dripping.

I'm a spring/fall gal, m'self.