Friday, October 29, 2004

To trick or to treat?


Ariel and Captain Feather Sword 2003

Tink and Peter Pan 2002

Dorthy and Toto 2001

One of my favorite things to do each year is dress my kids up and get their picture together. This year Kolby is a cheer leader and Rhett is a Dallas Cowboy Football player. ( Picture to follow as soon as i take one!) I love this time of year!

This post started out as a comment on Brandon's blog. It became so long I decided to post it here.

Brandon said "It completely makes sense to me why people don't want to "celebrate" a holiday that was marked for evil purposes. However, sometimes I think our closed doors and humbug attitudes can send a message that can be misinterpreted. (Don't bother us, we're religious. We don't care for you. You're less than--because you're trick-or treating. God is exclusive and you're out)"


I said : I totally agree about the trick-or-treating. We have kids from other neighborhoods (across the bridge and in the ehh not so good part of town) come and trick or treat on our street. One of our neighbors (who also goes to our church)was being really negative about this. She said her light would be off and her door closed but if we wanted to bring our kids she would love to give candy to those who "belonged on our street." Made me think.. What would Jesus do?

At our house there are no tricks, just treats. We do not hide. We put orange and black streamers in our trees and turn on our porch lights as well as the flood lights and every light in the front of the house. We try to talk to each and every trick or treater and give good candy. I thought about printing up some little cards to hand out that say "Thank you for stopping by our home" or something ... but I haven't figured that all out. I just don't want to be a scrooge.

I don't know what Jesus would do, but I can't imagine that he would sit behind a dark door letting all the kids pass him by. One night a year I will give candy to anyone who comes to our door, no matter where they are from or what they look like. All will be met with a cheerful smile and a generous amount of sugar and chocolate!

What do you guys think?


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Adorable pictures and deep thoughts. I think you are right. We were somewhere recently with a home schooled kid who was surprised that the other children actually liked Halloween. He had obviously been taught that it was bad. I do not want my kids to know that there is a "darker" side to Halloween. For them it is all about dressing up and getting candy. I would like to keep it that way for as long as possible.

Mae said...

Amen! Growing up we celebrated each and every holiday, much to the disapproval of some people at church. It was always a celebration of being creative, enjoying friends and family and rolling a yard or two... no harm, no foul. As long as it's fun and family time, who cares?!!!
The city of Lawrenceburg asked everyone to trick-or-treat on Saturday night so as not to "interfere with church activities." I say, bring on the kiddos! Our moon and stars jack-o-lantern will be the first greeting and a handful of treats will be the thank you for stopping by.
That reminds me, I need to pick up some candy by tomorrow! Wal-Mart here I come...
Kolby and Rhett are too precious! How do you get them to agree to match so often? Matching was the last thing my younger brother (3 years difference) and I wanted to do, especially at Halloween. :)

SG said...

Anon~ I'm with you!
Mae~ Kolby loves to match! They think they have to because they always have. We love costumes so much in our house that we start looking at them on-line in July! They are played in year round. This may be one of our last matching years, but I plan to enjoy it as long as I can!