Sunday, November 06, 2005

Strep from the net/ The ugly little voice

Last week I read that fellow bloggers Elizabeth and Jacinda (I finally added her link to my blog list this week!) were down with strep throat. Today I find myself down with the same thing. While I did talk to Elizabeth on the phone a few times, I never saw her face to face and Jacinda lives a couple 1000 miles away!!! Can you get Strep from the web? I am beginning to wonder! It is much more likely that I got it from one of the three kids who I was in contact with that came down with strep. Luckily none of those three were my kids! I am keeping my fingers crossed that I will be the only one in this house who gets it.

I'm not sure it could come at a worse time. This is a big week for me. My friend and I are in charge of the big appreciation luncheon (aka "The Teacher Prom") at Kolby's school this Thursday. We have been talking about it and planning for it for over six months. It's a big event that involves busing the teachers to a local church fellowship hall that has been transformed in to an incredible theme decorated luncheon hall.

There are about 70 teachers and staff who come to this. We feed them, give them door prizes and treats, have a fun activity or two, take their pictures in front of pretty elaborate back drops, and then two hours later bus them back to school. My guest bedroom and garage are full of 70's stuff. I'm really excited about it, but hoping I feel better soon enough to finish the dozens of last minute things that can not be done until, well, the last minute.

Our theme this year is "A Groovy kind of Lunch." Outback is catereing it. The big decorations are made. Everything is ordered and most of the 40 to 50 volunteers it takes to watch all the classes at school and serve are lined up. AND WE EVEN DID ALL THIS AND CAME IN UNDER BUDGET!!! I think it will be great...or at least I am hoping it will be.

Will I ever outgrow that secret panic that no matter how hard I work or how many plans I make, my event will totally flop? Have I ever had an event flop? Not treally. Will the teachers love anything that involves free Outback and a 2 hour break from the school? Most definitly! So why do I still listen to that nagging little voice? The strep throat seems to be giving the voice a mega phone today!

Any of you have experience with that ugly voice that whispers that you can't do it and somehow you forgot something big? What do you do to shut it up? Just wondering....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great! Now I've already visited your page and you tell me about the strep thing. Maybe you're not contagious and I won't catch it. At least I read REALLY fast!

Susan - said...

I hear that voice every day about the yearbook. But I know you, you have the magic touch. The luncheon will be wonderful. Hope you are feeling better and can enjoy seeing everyone enjoy your work.

Mae said...

Strep sux, appreciation for those who teach does not. Get better and tell the voices that they are meanies... maybe they are the ones w/ strep???

Amy S. Grant said...

I find myself in the middle of planning lots of events, but none that sound so great as that one! And that little voice often finds me, too.
My panic button has been perfectionism, and Satan knows that all too well! So for me letting go of things being perfect has been freeing in many areas of life! Not the least of which is event planning. :)

Like you said, you can't go wrong with Outback and two hours off!