Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Birthday Cake and Girl Scout Cookies

Kolby turned nine last Sunday...Even though we post-poned the party, even though I was not in proper "Birthday" mode, and even though I didn't blog about it... She still turned nine! The thing about birthdays is they come whether you are ready for them or not. I think I've been putting this one off in my head. Nine just sounds so big kid like. It's her last single digit birthday! It brings me great joy and a bit of sadness to see my little girl turn another year older.

Joy because it marks another year that God has blessed us with this sweet little spirit we call Kolby Sue. Joy because I not only love her, I just plain like being around her. Joy because she is growing and healthy and doing just what she should be doing at age nine. (That is a tremendous blessing in and of it's self!!!) My little girl brings me great joy!

And the sadness... The sentimental "Mommy" part of me wonders how that little baby girl grew into the young lady before me. It happened so fast. It's a little sad to realize that with every birthday we are closer to the day when Kolby will leave our nest and fly out on her own. Not that I don't want her to fly, for that is the ultimate goal. It's just that I like having her here, in my little nest. I wouldn't want her to be a baby her whole life, but these "kid" years seem to be fleeting fast!
Ready or not, I have a nine year old!

Since we haven't had her party yet, Rob and I surprised Kolby with a day trip to the metroplex to go Ice Skating. We didn't tell her what we were doing until the morning of her birthday. She was so excited! We met Rob's mom and sister and her family at the Stonebriar mall in Frisco for brunch at The Cheesecake Factory and an afternoon of Ice Skating. Kolby, Rhett and Rob had a blast skating with cousin Drake and Uncle Buck while the girls and Ella Kate and I watched and did a little shopping. We had a great time and enjoyed seeing Rob's family.

We let Kolby pick where to eat on the way home. Out of all of the places in Dallas, she picked BOSTON MARKET! :) With tummy's full of sweet cornbread, mac and cheese, and mashed potatoes (can you say STARCH!)we headed home, arriving just in time to get bathes and jump in bed. It was a very fun day. Rhett of course wants to do the same thing on his next birthday. What have we started? :)I wish I had pictures to post but our digital camera battery died and the new one (that had to be ordered because no store in Waco carries it)hasn't come in yet.

Yesterday I baked and took birthday cupcakes to Kolby's school. Last night we had birthday dinner & cake with my parents. Kolby requested a three layer heart shaped butter cake with pink icing. I haven't baked a lot since EK was born and yesterday I realized why. But, the cake turned out well, too well in fact. I ate it for breakfast and lunch today!

And in other fattening news, my dining room is chalk full of cases of Girl Scout cookies! By the time we get them all delivered or turned over to booth sales, over two hundred boxes of cookies will have gone through our dining room. Many boxes will never make back out the front door! Have you ever looked at the fat/carbo grams count on Samoas??? Don't!!!

Off to gather Valentine's Day treats for the kid's school parties. WOW!!! We are going to be in SUGAR SHOCK by the end of this week! Hope you have a Sweet week!

4 comments:

Amy S. Grant said...

Happy Valentines Day from your sugar shocked friend! :)

It sounds like a great birthday celebration! You need to post a picture of that cake, I always love seeing your creative talents!

And I hate to point it out, but Kolby is now halfway to 18...

Anonymous said...

test post

Anonymous said...

That was my test. I don't know why, but I am having problems posting on your blog.

Anyway, I am so sorry we forgot to call Kolby on her birthday! Jonathan and I talked about it a few days before, but then life got in the way. We will be calling very soon.

Susan

jettybetty said...

This is yet another of your posts rated *K* for me! How do they grow up so fast???