Friday, February 02, 2007

Stomach Bug and Birthday Reprieve

Kolby has a stomach bug. Honestly, it doesn't seem all that severe, but she puked a few times last night and to me that is worth an instant "Do not go to school for 24 hours" card. So she's home. It's hard to keep her separated from her brother,(Who is thrilled to have his sister home) so we may all have the bug before it's over. I'm making my favorite chicken noodle soup to help ward off the bug!

In other news, I have granted myself a birthday party reprieve of sorts. I was a bit overwhelmed trying to pull it all together by next Friday, so I'm not. We are going to re-schedule. I'm aiming for some Friday after TAKS(Feb 20th) but before Spring Break.

Sometimes I forget that I am the Mom and I can, to some extent, choose the pace of life around here. While I have no control over how many hours are in our day, I do have some control/choice when it comes to what we/I do during those hours. Do you ever forget that? Do you ever over schedule yourself with too many things to do or places to go while acting as if these things/places are not optional, when really, they are? Do you ever forget that life is not college and we don't have to cram in a certain amount of core and elective hours by some preset date? Do you ever stop and wonder why you make life harder than it has to be trying to keep up with an image/ideal that no one, not even God, notices, let alone requires?

I hope someone out there answers yes to at least one of these questions because, I would hate to be all alone in this! :)

Hope you all have a great weekend!

9 comments:

Jacinda said...

I agree with you. Sometimes I hear people complaining about ALL the things they have to do when in reality they are the ones who sign themselves (or their kids) up for so many activities. I agree...we can slow the pace down sometimes.

Good choice! And as far as inviting 12 girls...you can always hope some can't come! LOL

Donna G said...

Yes...I overschedule
Yes...I lose sight of what is important
Yes...I worry about an image that nobody cares about.

But, I am better than I used to be!

MDM said...

Yes! Yes!! Yes!!!

HW said...

Yes, Yes, yes, yes, yes.

I am glad you rescheduled the party. Remember to be kind to yourself with the party, you can keep it simple and still make it nice.

Anonymous said...

Good for you. No, I never overschedule. Excuse me, my nose is growing!

I can't log in, so I am anon.

(Susan)

jettybetty said...

si, si, si

Deana Nall said...

If you haven't been to www.birthdayswithoutpressure.org, go now! Because of this site, I was inspired to NOT hand out goody bags at Julia's party this year. And I don't feel the least bit bad about it.

Anonymous said...

You need a digital camera and a photo printer (or computer printer) An idea for a girl's birthday party... buy the Hanes T-shirts (5 per bag) and T-shirt transfers. Take a group picture and print it on T-shirt transfers. No paint, glue or markers. All you need to decorate the t-shirt is an iron and your transfer. You have a party favor and fun project all in one! My girls loved it!

Friend of a Friend

Amy S. Grant said...

yes, yes and yes! It is freeing to finally figure that out, though, isn't it? I'm glad to hear I'm not alone in this!