Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Wanted: Cheap, Easy, Fantastic, Party Ideas

I used to be the queen of birthday parties. I mean seriously. I once turned my garage into an under the sea spectacular that would have included a sand floor if Rob would have let me.
Sadly we did not capture this party in pictures too well but these two give you an idea. And yes I made that cake... Still don't know how/why I did all this!

But now... five years, two more kids, and the discovery of my financial conscience later, I just can't do it anymore.

SO Kolby wants a s-l-u-m-b-e-r party and I guess I'm game...after all I don't have to rent my own living room. BUT what to do with 12 8-9 year olds for fourteen hours with out spending a ton of time, or a ton of money (which I don't have)???

I feel I need help with this one. I have the basics, pizza, movie, popcorn, PJs, sleeping bags, and donuts the next morning... But I just wanted something a little more. Something not so "typical s-l-u-m-b-e-r party". Something that is lots of fun and preferably not so messy. We are working with a minimal of outside adult help and a confined space.... And did I mention I haven't even invited anyone yet and it is supposed to be a week from Friday???

You guys are all so creative! Help me think.... Or if you are in the area, bring your PJs and sleeping bag and come help me with the party! :) Comments are REQUIRED TODAY!:)

REVISED: And yes I realize I do seem to have this quandry every year for the past two years before my kids birthday parties. What is it in me that stresses over these things? OH and I had to take the word s-l-u-m-b-e-r out of the title to keep from being googled by p-e-r-v-s... (Feel like I'm spelling things out loud so the kids won't know what I'm saying Tee-hee!)

12 comments:

Donna G said...

giggling girls??? Scavenger hunt!!

Pianatas with Bud Light....Oh yeah...little girls! How about with suckers.

Anonymous said...

Manicure - pedicure party?

Jacinda said...

I was going to suggest what "that girl" said....a manicure/pedicure type event.

You could buy disposable cameras for each girl (could be pricey....) and let them be photographers. They could dress up and put on a fashion show and pretend to be paparazzi,

HW said...

We've done the pillow cases. You can also do white canvas tote bags, in just about any size.
For a game, you can pin the name of somebody that is popular with the girls (Disney Channel people, maybe) on each girl's back. They turn their back to the group, one at a time, and then ask questions to guess who they are.
Do you do rubber stamping? That was always a hit with my daughter and her friends. They decorated the sacks to take their stuff home in.
Oh, also an empty CD case makes a great picture frame(you can buy them in sets of 10 or so, I think) We took a group picture and then my husband ran to Walgreen's and got the prints (or print them at home). Trim a print for each girl to fit into the CD case and decorate with "jewels."
Do you have an easel or chalkboard? A modified game of pictionary would be fun at that age. Or you could buy a giant bag of beads and make jewelry.
It's exciting to think of that stuff when you're past the stage.
You'll do great.

Amy S. Grant said...

I love everyone's ideas! I may have to file those away for sometime...

For one of our sleepovers I had each girl bring five pictures that they would want to put into a homemade scrapbook. I had already cut card stock into half sheets. The girls worked on their scrapbooks for hours! We hole punched them on the side and tied them with ribbon to make each book.

The next morning over breakfast each girl had a turn to present their book and tell us their stories. That was probably my favorite activity we've ever done.

Amy S. Grant said...

I say five pictures, but some brought more. Each book ended up being around five pages. It helped that I scrapbook and have tons of stuff here like punches and such. I wish I was local, I'd haul it all over there if you wanted!

SG said...

WOW! These ideas are golden!!! I wish you were local Amy! Keep them coming..you guys are helping me out so much!

SG said...

HW that cd case/picture frame idea rocks!!!

Anonymous said...

I love the picture frame idea since you would have time to print them at Wal-mart. We have decorated plain terra cotta pots (cheap!) You can buy colored rocks with one side that's flat and some mortar glue at W-M. Brianna's party like this was a hit! I also made a garden cake - easy - that I found at the ZOOM website.

I filled each pot with candy and that was their take home.

Carrie

SG said...

Too cute Carrie! I think I need to compile all these comments and add a party tip link to my blog.

Becky C I hear the 12 girls warning loud and clear!!! It's just very hard. I hate to leave anyone out. Kolby has been left out before, as I guess we all have and it's just very hard to draw the line. 12 was a big debate for us!

mom23 said...

Is your living room big enough to have a pillow case hopping contest (think potato sack race) in it?

Movie?

The nice thing is that they will entertain themselves and you won't have to orchestrate every minute. Just hopefully not have too many fights to break up or tears to dry!!

This takes me back to my days as a girls minister and planning Jr. High girl retreats. So much fun!

Clarissa said...

Baking Cookies. Slice-N-Bake, they don't care. They could do that for a couple of hours. Music of their choice. Maybe let'em download a couple of their faves from iTunes and make up a dance routine. Hilarious.