Monday, January 22, 2007

Rhetter-roo


My baby boy is growing up so fast. How is it that he is five (almost five and a half he will tell you ) and acting like such a little man? Here are a few stories and Rhett-isms written to help me remember my five year old boy for prosperity...

~ Last Friday was Snowman day at Rhett's school, which was so appropriate considering it was his first day of school last week due to icy weather! Anyway, knowing Rhett is way too cool to wear a sappy old snowman sweater or anything "cute" like that, I decided to go for the cool snowman look and take a minimalist approach. I cut black "coal" shaped buttons out of peel and stick fun foam and then cut a little tiny white Snowman out of white for his black skull cap. Thinking I was the coolest Mom around, I assembled Rhett's monochromatic snowman ensemble and called him in to see. The clothes were cool enough but upon seeing the buttons and the snowman, Rhett announced he would not wear those because he would "look like a jerk." WHERE DID HE LEARN THE WORD JERK AND HOW DOES HE KNOW WHAT ONE WOULD LOOK LIKE?

I didn't push the issue but the next morning I insisted that he put the buttons on ...just for a picture. He got dressed adding sunglasses to his attire and posed for the picture, then started to rip the extras off. I convinced him to wear them to school just to show his teacher, then he could take them off and do whatever he wanted. He agreed, sighing " The things I do for you..." I had to bite my tongue not to laugh but again ...WHERE DID HE GET THAT? I really love that little man!

~ Last Sunday a friend of ours subbed in Rhett's Sunday School class. He asked all the kids at the beginning "Are you excited to be here and learn about God today?" Rhett flatly replied "No, I already know all about God." That is just so Rhett.

~ For about two years, one of Rhett's favorite things to say is "That's disgusting!" He knows what it means and uses it in context, however when he says it it sounds more like "that's' igggssscusting!" I know I should correct him and I'm sure his sister will soon if I don't, but I am kind of attached to that word igggsscusting and will be a bit sad when he gets it right.


~ Rhett loves his Daddy! Now that they are out numbered, the guys have really bonded and stick together. Rhett wants to do eveything his dad does, even dress like him. Every other Friday is a flex-day for Rob at work which means he could have every other Friday off. Every week Rhett asks if Daddy is going to have a "stay home day." He loves the days when he can hang out with his Dad no matter what they end up doing. His Dad is one of his "dudes" and we all think that is pretty neat.

~ Rhett would be a video game junkie if we let him! He has an Nintendo DS (thanks to aunt Sari) and could literally play all day long if I didn't insist on limiting his play with the kitchen timer. His favorite game , bar none, is Star Wars Legos. He shares this passion with his cousin Justin (aka J-dog) who has Star Wars Legos I for Playstation...Which means they can both play at the same time. Justin's Mom and Dad have even videoed them playing because they get so excited. It is a sight to see! When they are doing really well or have conquered a level, Rhett will jump up and say "SWWeet! Justin we rock!" High fives and body slams ensue. The other day while eating out with Justin's family anticipating the games they would play when they went home, in the middle of lunch Rhett asked "Justin are you ready to kick some Star Wars Lego Boodie?" Those boys! The thing is they really can kick boodie! Their Dads are amazed and proud that their son's have inherited their video game prowess!

~Rhett loves numbers. He has been able to count to 100 for over a year now and can also count to twenty by 2s, to fifty by 5s. and two hundred+ by 10s. He is very aware of the time and the temperature display in the van. Though I try not to worry, since Kolby has had a time dealing with and overcoming some dyslexia, it has come to my attention that Rhett often reverses the order of numbers. For example he sees the temperature is 43 and saying "It's thirty four degrees outside." To some extent I know this is normal for this age..but still.

~ Rhett knows all our phone numbers, my Mom's home and cell phone number, our address and all our family's full names. He gets a bit confused on why my parents don't have the same last name we do, but he knows all his cousins have different last names. He gets that we are all one big family with lots of different last names. He is just beginning to understand all the states, cities and their relation to our country. He will ask me what all the states of Russia or Africa are...and I have a hard time explaining that. Rhett knows that Disney World is in Florida, Disney Land is in California. He knows that Uncle Eddy lives in New York the state, while the planes crashed in New York City where mommy loves to go to see plays. Sari traveling the country and sending postcards from all over has peaked his interest in geography and I am scrambling to keep up. He also knows his daddy was born in Japan, and grew up in Spain...but he doesn't get how far away those places are.

~ Rhett can write his first name and is working on his last name. He hasn't learned to spell Thomas yet, but recognizes it by sight. Rhett knows some sight words and likes to tell what letter words start with, but he hasn't wanted to read. I think much of that comes from watching his sister struggle with reading. I'm not going to push it, but hope to work with him more and more before Kindergarten next fall. Rhett likes letters and likes identifying them, but he hasn't shown much interest in writing, drawing or coloring. He does not like to do crafts but he does like to paint. He also does not like stickers and will tell anyone who tries to give him some so...we are working on that.

~ Rhett loves his sisters. Kolby is his best friend and play mate and he will do about anything she suggests. He gets very upset if Kolby gets in trouble and will try to talk me out of punishing her. He also loves his baby sister and wants to hold and play with her...for a minute or two anyway. He is really sweet to Ella Kate and will get on to me if the he thinks I am letting her cry or struggle. If she ever learns to crawl it will be amazing as Rhett will pick her up if she even squirms!

~ All in all Rhett is a great little boy. When I think of that baby in the neo-natal ICU who just couldn't seem to breathe right, I can't believe that he grew into my rough and tumble, always sliding, always falling, always wrestling Rhett! And I thank God for him everyday! We love our Rhetter-roo!

8 comments:

elizabeth said...

He reminds me of Matthew who told me last year that he REFUSED to wear sweaters with anything cutesie on them!

I think he also said in church last week that if there was a question in church it is safe to assume that the answer is probably "God"!

Jacinda said...

He sounds great!

MDM said...

He sounds so easy-going and precious to be around.

Anonymous said...

I think I love your Rhetter-roo, too!

Beaner said...

My son (almost 8) LOVES Star Wars Legos too - especially the new one based on the Original Trilogy.

I get a LOT of "I know that already" from my 5-year old! My question is 'How????' Rhett sounds a lot like BOTH of my kids!

Amy S. Grant said...

I loved getting to know your little Rhett a little better. He sounds like a little philosopher, like my middle child, with a mind of his own!

And I love the snowman look, very creative!

Amy S. Grant said...

I never preview my comments. I think I used the word "little" like three times in a row! Oh well, maybe it's better than "precious" :)

Clarissa said...

I love it!! However, your memories won't lead to "prosperity" (aka moolah) unless you submit them to some magazine or book ... but you're preserving them for "posterity" -- future generations.

Just because I love ya.

Love baby girl's smiling pics, too. Oh, to remember such innocent joy!