Monday, January 08, 2007

Happy New Year!

So I am a bit tardy in my New Years greetings! 2007 WOW! Can you believe it? 2007!

I wanted to post a picture of my cute little New Year Baby...it's the last time I will have a baby baby at New Years, but blogger just won't cooperate. Speaking of the baby...she turned six months old this week! SIX MONTHS OLD!!! What a blessing she has been and continues to be.

Not much to blog about these days, but I wanted to check in. Will try to upload that picture soon. Hope the first week of 2007 was good to youand will continue to be good! :)

REVISED OK if you just want the sterile "happy" blog stop reading here.

At few days ago I got this youtube video in an e-mail.

Besides making me totally crazy over what type car seat my children are in, it was just so hauntingly sad. These kids look so familiar. So I followed the link mentioned in the video to find out a little more and spent the next hour reading through this little boy's mom's account of his life and death...and the many many comments that people have left them...all the while tears were streaming down my face.

What touched me more than anything was reading what happened in the words of this little boys mommy. But it was these words that brought me to my knees in tears and prayer...

We truly made the most out of the short time we had with Kyle and I will forever be grateful for that. If I had known in advance that we would only have 3 years with our son, I would change absolutely nothing about the way we lived them. I am eternally grateful for that.

If something happened to Rhett today, I'm not sure I could say that. I feel like Rhett gets the short end of the stick sometimes.

For the last year and a half, with the pregnancy and the new baby, I just haven't been the Mom I want to be for Rhett. Kolby sort of demands attention just because of her age, birth order, and all the school and dyslexia related special time we spend together. Ella Kate is a baby which also demands and gets my full attention most of the time. But then there is Rhett. Rhett is happy, independent and often so content and capable that I have accidentally taken advantage of his good nature and missed out on a lot of time with him. Rhett goes to Kindergarten next fall. I just haven't done all the things I wanted to do with him before he starts school... So for the next eight months until Rhett starts school I am going to really work at being a better Rhett mommy. I guess that is one of my New Years resolutions, though I'm not big on resolutions.

I share this with you because so often it is the words of you, my fellow bloggers, that make me want to be a better person, a stronger Christian, a more loving wife and mommy. You (and I think you know who you are) generously share your life in the words of your blog and by doing so, you inspire me. I don't blog very deeply...and I'm not sure I will ever be the blogger some of you are... But know that I am so blessed by you guys. When inspiration hits or God gets through to me...I want to share it with you.

So again happy New Years... I hope we all accomplish what God reveals for each of us to do in 2007!

PS I'm not at liberty to give any details beyond these, but there is a newborn baby boy named David in Cooks Hospital in Fort Worth who needs prayers for his liver to function properly. Please take a minute to pray for him and his sweet family. Thank you!

4 comments:

Jacinda said...

I think we all feel, from time to time, that we "shortchange" one child or another-I know I do! I'm sure you are a great mom and will continue to be!!!!!!!!!

Beaner said...

I can't watch that video again - it was sent to me in an e-mail too & it has haunted me for weeks! It was just done so well. I can't even hear that song on the radio anymore w/o tears! I just feel so sad for the twin sister too.

Anyway....what is happening with Rhett sounds like a typical "middle-child" experience. He will be fine. While it is great to spend more focused time on him, please don't beat yourself up!!! You ARE a great mom from everything I've read so far!!!

SG said...

Thanks for the encouragement.

Beaner~ I think you are right about the typical middle child thing w/ Rhett.. The other night I helped Rhett with his bath. Sounds silly, but since I was pregnant Rob has been doing the bath and bed routine...or Rhett and Kolby have done it alone while I rocked a baby in the other room. I can't remember the last time I did the bath part w/ Rhett. That made me sad and I realized how much I have missed Rhett. I don't think he has been neglected at all... Rob, my parents, and my sister have filled in for me, but they are not me. I would have a few regrets if I didn't take some time to focus on my special boy! I'm thankful Rhett is the only boy since he is the middle child...I think that will help offset some of the things you hear that middle children go through.
That video is well done... but really it is so sad I don't think I can watch it again either.

Amy S. Grant said...

Hey girl. Somehow I missed this post in Bloglines. I didn't take the time to watch the video, but as far as the regrets thing...

I don't know, I think we all would do some things differently as moms. I wish that I had the patience I'm developing now when my 11 year old was two. But if it hadn't been for her being two I wouldn't have developed tha patience.

And I think parenting gives me a deeper glimpse of what grace truly is. A fresh start every day. Or every hour, some days. :)

It sounds like God in his grace is giving the mom in the video peace over the loss of her son.

You have such a sweet, tender heart for your children. They know how much you love them.