Thursday, April 19, 2007

You are invited...

Though the world is a mean place, as we have all witnessed this week,
and Kolby is home with a stomach bug,
and Rhett and Ella Kate can't seem to stay away from her,
and the scrapbook deadline is breathing down my neck,
and the laundry pile resembles Everest,
and the list of things to do is a mile long,
and it is 11AM and I am still in my PJs...
It's a beautiful Spring day in Texas and I feel like having a tea party.

In blog world anyway.
Want to join me?

We will dine on a patio overlooking flower beds of blooming Iris, hydrangea and roses.
Three large hundred year oak trees form a triangular canopy over our patio and lazily stretch out towards the surrounding garden.
There is a mild breeze that keeps us pleasantly cool in the warm spring time sun.
I have set a large round table with a crisp white Belgium lace and linen cloth.
Folded matching napkins hold stems of my mothers sterling silver spoons and forks and are cinched with blade of long meadow grass and topped with the bright yellow head of a daffodil.
There is a beautifully vibrant arrangement of gorgeous spring flowers crowning a low round antique cut glass vase in the center of the table.
Two fat glass pitchers full of Springtime Lemonade and Sweet Iced Tea topped with circular slices of lemon and chucky ice cubes adorn the silver trey to the right of the flowers.
Beside the flower crested silverware, petite crystal cut out dinner plates sit at each place and beckon us to fill them full of the petite sandwiches and iced cookies that spill over the silver trays and crystal platters that dot the table.
We sip from crystal teacups that fit snugly on to their matching saucers.
We talk , laugh, and sigh as we enjoy the beauty of the day and joy of companionship.
Ahhhhh.
It's the perfect Spring Tea Party.
In blog world, anyway.

I'm bringing my Nana's Cucumber Sandwiches. (recipe in comments later) What are you going to bring?
I think the world would be a better place if we had more tea parties. Don't you agree?

8 comments:

SG said...

Nana' s Cucumber Sandwiches

One pkg. cream cheese (regular size) at room temperature ( Fat free/low fat is fine)

3 Heaping TBS. Miracle Whip (Low fat or fat free MW is fine but if you use fat free or low fat cream
cheese also, you may need less Miracle Whip. If you use regular mayo, add lemon juice)

1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons of Garlic Powder (use more or less to taste)

Optional dash or two of lemon juice.

1 to 2 large, or 3 to 4 small (pickle size) cucumbers

Half a loaf of both White and wheat bread.

Blend first three (or 4) ingredients until mixture is easy to spread.
Spread thinly on one side of 12 pieces white and 12 pieces wheat bread.
Peel cucumbers completely and slice about 1/8th to 1/4th inches thick
Place slices in a single non overlapping layer on white bread and top with wheat.
Remove crust and cut in two triangles or use a cookie cutter to make fun shapes.
Arrange on plate and cover with plastic wrap. Allow to chill at least 30 minutes to an hour before serving. Can be made the night before.
Makes 12 sandwiches/ 24 halves.

*I usually double this recipe. I also add more mayo or a little lemon juice if it is not easily spreadable. Strangely enough, there are rarely any leftovers.
**You can add a tiny drop of food coloring to the cream cheese mixture to tint the sandwiches for that “Party” sandwich look. Pink ones are our favorites)
***For a faster, easier version, buy garlic flavored spreadable cream cheese or mix up your own spread and keep in the fridge for up to a month for impromptu tea parties!

Amy S. Grant said...

Oooohhh, yummy! I'll be back as soon as I pick up my daughter from kindergarten. I'm already running late, but have to wait for the cookies to bake in the oven. I'll bring along a plate of warm chocolate chip cookies!

Anonymous said...

I'm bringing some cheese straws and I'm going to wear the long linen skirt and blouse and wear my way hot sandals!

Susan - said...

Sounds lovely. I'll bring something fabulous, but I am tired and can't think of it now.

Jacinda said...

I'd love to come. I just found out a friend of mine with 3 children under the age of 3 has cancer. I could use some relaxation...and I think I'll bring her too!

jettybetty said...

Did I miss the party? I love cucumber sandwiches.

Hope everyone is feeling better today and you get all your stuff done!

Linda said...

I never have commented before, but I found your blog through someone else's...not sure....but your tea party seems like a great escape right now. The way you describe it is wonderfully done. Thank you for the mental getaway! Blessings, Linda Letz

Chris said...

I've been lurking for a long time now, but I just had to thank you for the lovely tea party! I'm so sorry I couldn't stay very long - did people enjoy what I brought? I hope it wasn't gauche to bring coffee bonbons to a tea party! Lol!