Saturday, January 21, 2006

Confession and Prayers

The last few days I have been praying hard for somethng Rob and I both hope will happen. I mean I have been praying non-stop for this thing to work out. Then I read Brandon's blog yesterday. I followed the link to Russel Heil's blog. I read the obituary in the Fort Worth paper. Then I felt really silly for putting so much energy into praying for this thing to work out. There are people in this world who need God so badly and need our prayers so fervently.
Though I never knew Kari Heil, I can not stop thinking about her family and those precious little girls. My prayers are taking on a totally different form today. I feel humbled and selfish for bothering God hourly for the last few days with my request. It's so easy to get caught up in myself and forget that there is a whole big world out there that needs God and needs us to care about them. With a bit of guilt I confess that God has blessed me far beyond what I deserve and I aspire to be more of a blessing to others. How can I even think of asking God for more? It's not all about me, or Rob, or our kids. It's not all about what happens in my world but what is happening in HIS world. Please join me in praying for the Heil/Firestone family today, and in the weeks and months ahead.

5 comments:

Susan - said...

How very sad. Though I understand why you feel the way you do, I do not think your prayers are selfish. I know you better than that.

Mae said...

I was talking about my cousin losing her husband the other day w/ a good friend. Basically, I said that my needs and complaints (HAH not taking a nap, B being out of town, etc.) were so petty compared to losing a spouse and trying to explain the situation to your children. She said someone told her once that God made us all, He loves us all, and He knows our needs ~ the pain of the world doesn't make our pain any less. So, while I am praying fervently for those we love who have suffered so much, I also pray for and worry over smaller things that are big in my own world too. Remember, God is all knowing and we are his creations. Prayer is our conversation w/ Him ~ He KNOWS!

MDM said...

That situation is so painful it makes me shiver. I am with Mae's wise words on the rest.

SG said...

Actually Mae I totally agree with you. This whole sad situation just made me realize that sometimes I get too focused on my needs and the needs of my family forgetting to look outward at others. It would be better if I didn't dwell on my request so much taking them to God over, and over, and over. That's not to say that I shouldn't take my concerns to God. I just should not let my concerns be my only focus. Hope that made some sort of sense. :)

Elizabeth M.H. said...

Thank you for this blog. Kari was my sister in law. I loved her very much and today would have been her birthday. I miss her everyday.