Saturday, January 07, 2006

My Nana


Thursday night we got a call that Nana might be taking her last breathes. Her O2 saturation was low and they said at times they couldn't tell if she was still alive. I was at Kolby's basketball practice with two of my first cousins. We left together for the nursing home.

When we got there Nana was surrounded by her two daughters and son-in-laws and all six of her grandchildren, and her friend, sitter and care-taker for the last six years, Lilly. Then she rebounded. She became more alert. For the first time in a long time she seemed to know who we were. She started breathing more normally and her 02 levels rebounded. She even said a few understandable words. We were all able to say goodbye knowing Nana knew us. It was a specail for time for our family.

Nana went to sleep around midnight Thursday night never to rouse again. She died this morning at 2:00am. I am so glad she has finally left behind the shell of a life alheimers left her with to go to an incredible everlasting life in Heaven! To quote a family friend, I bet Nana was so suprised to wake up in the arms of Jesus! We rejoice for her and celebrate the special wife, mother, sister, daughter, grandmother, aunt, friend and life-long, faithful Christian woman she was! I am sure I will post more about my Nana in weeks to come. For now it is just wonderful to know that for the first time in almost 9 years, my Nana is happy!

The funeral will be in Coleman, Texas at the Elm Street Church of Christ at 11:00am on Monday. The arrangements are being handled by Stevens Funeral Home in Coleman.

8 comments:

jettybetty said...

How blessed you are to have her as your Nana!
My prayers are with your family.

elizabeth said...

I hadn't heard about Nana's death. I know your family will miss her but are happy that she is free of sickness and with her husband again!

We will be thinking about you guys on Monday.

Anonymous said...

Don't you love a good grandmother? May you all have peace and comfort. You'll have to introduce me when we all get THERE!

elizabeth said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jacinda said...

I'm sorry for your loss but happy you have such wonderful memories! I will be thinking about you.

Donna G said...

Peace to you and yours. Isn't it great when you know death is a sweet release? May God be with you all as you revisit so many memories in the days to come.

Susan - said...

I know you must be both sad and relieved. She must have been quite a person, I wish I had known her.

Mae said...

Thinking of you all today. I hope it is a time of rejoicing and remembering her blessings.