Monday, January 30, 2006

A Little Kick & some Mommy Mush

Sorry to turn this into a pregnancy blog but I am what I am.

Last night at Wendy's in the middle of saying something to a friend, I felt it! The very first little kick! It caught me off guard and mid-sentence I said "I just felt a kick." OK truth be told I have been sort of nervous because I had not felt anything other than a few uncertain flutters up until now. I'm 16 weeks and felt my first kick with Rhett around 13/14 weeks. With Kolby it was more in the 18/20 week time frame, but I didn't know what to feel then. So anyway, I have been praying for kicks!

Call it that horrible post-miscarriage paranoia or just natural mommy worry, but I almost rented one of those little Doppler things last week so I could listen for the heart beat when ever I wanted to prove that there is really someone in there growing and doing OK. At any rate, I was really excited to feel that first little kick. Yes, it could have been a weird muscle spasm but it happened again 10 minutes later, so I choose to believe it was a kick! YAY!!!!

In other Mommy news, I don't know if I am feeling guilt because Rhett won't be my baby anymore, or if he is just in a very charming, cute stage, but I find myself completely tickled and enamored by my little boy. Friday we had a date night because Kolby was at a birthday party and Rob was reffing a basketball game. We went to "Buzz-o-lees"(Fazzoli's for the rest of you who don't speak Rhett) and to Toys-R-Us for a survey trip. ("Just looking" trips are "survey trips" in our house.) We finished the night off with a few rounds of Memory and Guess Who and root beer floats.

Afterwards, Rhett wanted to sleep in my bed. Rob and I have an unwritten rule about kids sleeping in our bed, we don't do it. So I told him that I would snuggle in his bed with him for a little while. Mid-snuggle, Rhett told me that when his Daddy got really old like Nana and died, he would sleep in my bed with me. I sort of laughed and told him by then that he would be married to his own wife and live in his own house in his own bed with her.
"But I want to marry you."
Very flattered and perhaps a bit misty eyed I said "You can't marry me Rhett, I'm your Mommy."
"Can I marry someone just like you?" (Did I mention that he is the sweetest little boy in the whole wide world!?)
"Of course you can!"
It melted my heart!!! Don't worry, I won't hold him to the sweet sentiments of a four year old when he's in his twenties. But it is conversations like that one that I will hold in my heart forever! I love being a Mom!

Happy Monday!

4 comments:

Susan - said...

What a sweetie! There is something special about boys.

Jacinda said...

I'm so happy you felt a kick! With Gracie, we worried needlessly because we had borrowed one of those heartbeat things. We never could hear the heart with it! Since she's now 5 1/2 years old, we know it was beating! I was such a worrywart with both of my pregnancies!

Anonymous said...

Love the boys!!!!

jettybetty said...

There's something special between a mom and her son!