Tuesday, July 04, 2006

The nesting I needed

I have had more down time in the last week than I have had in the last year. Lots of time to think. Lots of time to catch up on everyone else's blogs. As annoying as it has been to not be able to do things, I think bed rest has been good for not only my blood pressure, but my over all spirit and state of mind.

About a week ago my mother-in-law (mil for short) sent me an obituary from her home town newspaper. It was for Cindy Chowning. Cindy and Richard Chowning were missionaries to Kenya where they worked with the Kipsigi people for many years. When I met them, they were furloughed to ACU where Richard was a guest professor in the missions department. He taught my "World Christians Class" and they hosted African Mission Fellowship in their home. Even though Gaston Tarbet was actually my official ACU mentor for my two summer internships in Nairobi, Kenya, I got to know the Chownings quite well. Richard attempted to teach me some Swahili. The little I knew pre-Nairobi came from him! Cindy taught me to make the American version of chai, ugali & sacuma weki, and my favorite, chapati's and cabbage. They were such a sweet, open, and loving family.

Years later I did a special missions class on Wednesday nights for the kindergarteners at our church in San Angelo. Richard helped me when I took my kids on a field trip to Abilene to see the big globe in the Bible building and to talk to a real live missionary. He was such a nice man.

Anyway my heart breaks for the Chowning family. They have three children Heather, Naomi, and Aaron, who are all married. I think they have several grandchildren. The Chownings were planning on coming home to the states next year after spending the last eight or so years in Benin, West Africa. They were ready to be closer to the kids and the grandchildren even though they had a deep passion for the Aja people. Cindy was killed in an accident June 14th when she was hit by a motorcycle as she went to get something out of her truck during a routine Bible study visit. A senseless tragic accident!

Other ACU friends Randy and Kelly Vaughn worked with the Chownings in Benin. I have visited Randy's blog a lot these last days getting a small glimpse into their lives. Kelly had a heart for Africa even back during our time at ACU. She was very active in AMF. I guess Randy found his heart in missions after he gave it to Kelly! : ) Both are just the greatest! I admire them so much!

As tragic as Cindy Chownings death is and as unfair and horrible as it is, her life was such that you can not help but rejoice for her. She and Richard have really walked the walk. They have made a huge difference in the world for Christ. Just thinking of their many sacrifices over the years, their choices to give without getting back, the lifestyle they imposed on themselves for the love of God's word and the different people of Africa... they are truly inspiring! I can't find words to express it accurately.

The Chownings lived with a world view that I tend to close out. The last few months I have been very self absorbed with this pregnancy and trying to get ready for the baby. I have forgotten there is a great big world out there. Lately, I have been a bit scared thinking of all that has to happen to get this baby out of me in the next 24 hours or so. I fear pain. But reading about the Vaughns day to day life and reflecting on the life of Cindy Chowning has made re-evaluate a bit. It has made me think about what I really need to be as a mother, wife and Christian. It had made me re-dedicate to raising my children to love God and Jesus sacrificially. Sadly I loose sight of that from time to time.

So I am grateful to God for people like Cindy Chowning and the Vaughns who so selflessly labor for the kingdom that even those of us who only get far away glimpses of their lives see Christ and are humbled. I am grateful for the reminder that the most important thing I can prepare for this baby has nothing to do with bumper pads, fresh paint or clean floors. My heart and my life nesting in the vision of God's love and his Kingdom plans for my life and my child's life are what I need to focus on and prepare for. Being a Christian is not just a state of being, it is an intentional decision by decision life style. I needed to be reminded of that.

I 'm grateful that God choose to slow me down and remind me of what is really important this week. I'm grateful to him for feathering the nest of my heart with the example of Cindy Chowning's life and the lives of those I know who truly live for Christ. That is what I most needed to prepare to mother this precious little girl. I can't wait to meet her face to face!

My heart and prayers continue to go to the Chowning family both here in the states and in Benin, West Africa. Thank you God for Cindy Chowning and the inspiration she was and is to so many.

5 comments:

jettybetty said...

Glad you are getting some rest--I've come to believe we all need to rest to re-focus on what God is doing and wants to do in our lives with some regularity. (I realize with 3 young children--this is easier said than done.)

I had heard about Cindy--I don't understand it--seems like bad timing to me--but I trust God had a plan my limited vision can't see right now.

I am praying for you and baby girl as tomorrow approaches!

Jacinda said...

I have been thinking of you tonight and praying for your time tomorrow bringing your little girl into this world!

Amy S. Grant said...

I am thankful you've had this down time to rest and reflect.

We knew the Chownings from our time in Abilene, and I had not heard about Cindy. How sad and shocking.

Thank you for writing about them - what a great tribute!

...thinking and praying today!

Anonymous said...

Just wanted you to know I'll be praying for you today!!
love
lex ann

Anonymous said...

Just wanted you to know I'll be praying for you today!!
love
lex ann