Monday, July 17, 2006

Still on the honeymoon

Today is my due date. For months July 17th was the focal point of my life. But then Ella Kate and my body had other ideas! Now July 17th will be forgotten and July 5th is the big day. It was noon before I realized today's date. Funny how a date can seem so important then suddenly be "just a day" again.

Rob went back to work today. Laundry had to be done. Kolby needed someone to pick her up from Camp Success. Rhett needed breakfast. The baby vacation is officially over. The real world is starting to creep back into my days. No more napping at will and staying cool and cozy at home 24/7. We are all still very much in the "honeymoon " stage with sweet baby Katie though! I could sit and watch her sleep for hours...And I still will do that as much as possible, vacation or not.

Ella Kate has already grown and changed quite a bit in the last 12 days. The tabs on the newborn diapers don't overlap like they did at first. She stretches out a lot more now instead of sleeping in a little ball. She made the jump from eating at will/whenever to eating every four or so hours. She seems to recognize our voices and she is awake a little bit more than she was at first...But not much more. Though it breaks my heart, I think she is starting to loose some of that sweet newborn hair. No matter how hard it can be to have a newborn, these are the most precious of days! I wouldn't wish them away for any amount of sleep, energy or any other "mommy of a newborn" scarcities!

Honestly, I still can't believe she is here! I still just want to sit and hold her. I want to hold on to each moment and not forget how she looks, sounds, and even smells today. I don't want my baby to grow too fast. I don't want to forget the feeling of that sweet little newborn balled up and sleeping soundly on my chest. I pray that I will be able to remember this forever... Yeah we are still in the honeymoon stage.

And you know that saying about "the third time being the charm"... For me that has been true. It's more than just her ideal birth and hospital stay. In fact it has more to do with me than with the baby. It could be because I know that this is my last baby. They say with age comes wisdom...I'm not sure about that, but this time around the little things don't freak me out so much. I don't feel like I have to have my birth announcements out right away. I don't freak out after not sleeping for three nights. I know it will be hard to get out with all three kids at first and that all this is just a phase... A short precious phase that in ways will be over way too soon. I am letting, or perhaps even making myself stop and enjoy Ella Kate being a newborn. Maybe other people get that with the first or second baby...For me it took the third!

Completely off the subject, I have wanted to say something to those in the blog family who regularly read this (Yes, all five or six of you...who else would have read this far in this rambling post?)....

I can not thank you enough for your prayers and words of encouragement over the last weeks! The morning we left for the hospital to have Ella Kate, I was so nervous. As we drove across town I remembered all the comments from sweet blog friends who said they were praying for me. I really felt your prayers. It was such a comfort! AND I believe God answered prayers with the ease of Ella Kate's birth.

I feel very blessed by your prayers and the hand of our Heavenly Father. I felt his hand through out my pregnancy. I am so grateful and thankful for all of you who petitioned him on my behalf and provided "prayer cover" for my family. Though I have not met some of you face to face, you are my sweet Christian brothers and sisters and I feel very close to you! Thank you so much for blessing me and my family with your prayers and support! You are the best!

Back to the honeymoon... If I don't blog to regularly for the next few weeks, rest assured I'm just too busy enjoying this sweet baby and the family God has blessed me with! Love to all!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you! It's true about the third child! I was the same way with Hayden, I knew he was my last and I tried to remember every moment and was much more "laid back". I know he's now 8, but still my baby! I'm so glad all is well! If ya'll are ever in Abilene give us a call! BYW~~I love the name!
love
lex ann

Jacinda said...

So glad everything is going well!

Amy S. Grant said...

Reading this takes me back to when Alison was a newborn. She is my third and last (now 5 years old!).

I remember having so many of the same feelings you describe. I think we just mellow and realize what's really important and how fast the time goes by!

Enjoy your honeymoon!

Beaner said...

Ok...I'm getting that feeling again!!!! A friend of mine also had her 3rd a couple months ago & yesterday I had that sweet girl on my lap & she was just smiling & I was transported in time back to my 2 kids. I hope you enjoy & remember every smile, cry & coo!!! It's been wonderful living this out with you. I am one who has never met you, but I am so blessed to KNOW you! You are a wonderful mom!!!!

Donna G said...

Thank YOU, my sweet sister for letting us share this beautiful time in your life. It is amazing to feel so close and connected to people you have never met....a little bit of heaven here on earth!

jettybetty said...

I am so thankful you all are doing so well! You are sooo wise to enjoy all those precious moments--even without sleep--and in the middle of the night!

SG said...

Beaner~I read a quote today talking about children that said that "Three is the new two." I guess that is like saying "brown is the new black" in fashion. The same article also talked about parents being older when thay start having kids and many choosing to space their kids out by three to five years each. I had no idea Rob and I were so in vogue! :)

Thanks ladies! You guys are all so sweet and wise! I love getting to have these little chats!

homebody said...

Hi there,

I arrived at your blog somehow, just following links...that is usually how I come across new blog friends, LOL...

Anyhow, I just wanted to say congrats on your new baby girl! I have 3 daughters myself and am preggers with my 1st boy in October.

I noticed through browsing around your blog that you are CoC...I am a former member of the ICOC...you may have heard of them. I was wondering if you had any thoughts on them (good or bad) and if you wouldn't mind chatting about your church (beliefs and such). A good friend of mine who brough me into the ICOC has gone back to the original CoC (which broke away from the CoC, I believe) and quite enjoys it there. I have since joined the Seventh-day Adventist church (big jump, I know!)...When you get a chance (and I know that is virtually impossible with a newborn) could you maybe email me? that is if you don't think I'm totally crazy by now...You can have a peek at my blog -- I'm not too crazy, LOL..

Thanks!

Nadine email: nsmith24ca at yahoo dot ca

Susan - said...

You ALMOST make me want another! Please post more pictures when you can. Can wait to see you all. August maybe?

mom23 said...

"three is the new two" I love that!! I relate so much to your whole entry here - it seemed so easy to transition to three for me. And I intentionally enjoyed all the baby-ness more too.

Still praying for you!!

Sandy said...

By the time the third one came, we were able to enjoy all the aspects of babydom without stress. When the baby would cry- just wailing!- we would look at each other and say, "Isn't he CUTE??"

And three is the point where people no longer invite you over for dinner so much any more, and some other moms- if they have only one or two children- may balk at your plea for emergency babysitting help because they just don't see how they can watch that many kids. But I'm here to tell you that by the time you reach three kids, you have critical mass. Bring on the neighbors- the more the merrier! Three (and four... and five) is fun. I'm glad you are enjoying it too!

Karen said...

So glad all is going well for you all. I love the name; it's very much like my oldest daughter's, Emily Kate.

Enjoy your babymoon. I miss having babies!

Amy S. Grant said...

And thank you for the sweet card. I have been blessed by getting to know you in blogging, and sharing in the excitement of your new baby.

I would love to meet you and your crew someday - maybe a future Zoe conference or ACU event.