Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Home Sweat Home

Yeah. That wasn't a typo! We are home.
The air conditioner has been repaired thanks to the resourcefulness and stick-to-it-ness of my husband! Well, sorta repaired. It's still in the 80's in here, but it is slowly cooling off. The AC guy (who was great!) is coming in the morning to finish the job. We could have stayed away another night but we were all really ready to come home. Just last week I was telling someone how we never go anywhere and how I wanted break from my house....Be careful what you wish for! The last week has been quite an adventure.

I hope to tell more of the story when I have had some sleep, a shower, and the temperature of my house is in the 70's! But as crazy and exhausting as the past week has been, it has also been lots of fun! I'm thankful for so much right now! Here's a short list for starters

I'm thankful for...
Old friends who make you feel so comfortable and cherished when you are with them that you are able to pick up right where you left off. And the fact that our kids got along so well and played together with very little input from us... It was just a great week end!

My kids who have kept the perspective positive by viewing every night away from home as a vacation, even if we were just across the street. Kolby and Rhett were little troopers and I am so proud of them. EllaKate has had her issues, but for a 13 month old on antibiotics with nasty sinus infection who hasn't slept in her own bed in a week AND managed to fall on her head at least once a day... she did pretty good!

My parents and sister who at first welcomed us and then helped us with every thing when they became fellow broken air-conditioner refugees! They are probably really tired of us, but they still keep offering to keep us until the AC is back to 100%. They must really love us!

My aunt and cousins who took us in and let us hang out, eat their food and visit like we used to in the old times before we all lived here. All the kids made it challenging at times, but I would not take for any of them! Some of my fondest chidhood memories are of summer days and nights spent with my cousins. It's fun to do that again all these years later with our kids! I am so glad my kids are making great memories with their cousins. It was a fun two nights!

My husband who refused to give up when we were told it might be another week before the special order parts were in. Rob truly saved the day by calling parts dealers all over the state directly and searching until the parts were found...and right here in Waco! Rob even endured the 105+attic to get all the numbers off our AC unit! It's sort of a long story but, if he hadn't done what he did, we might still have been across the street wearing out our welcome! (Mom and Dad's air conditioner was repaired this morning.)

I'm thankful that I live in Texas in 2007 instead of 1907. Truly. How do those with out AC survive? I get so cranky and flustered in the heat. Why do we live in Texas? I ask myself this every August.

I'm grateful that God has provided for us as always. It looked like this week was going to be the worst, but it wasn't. We are home. And we were taken care of when we couldn't be home. I'm overwhelmed at the ways God chooses to teach us and bless our lives. Even on hot, crazy, unbelievable days!

Thanks for all the prayers and fond wishes. It's nice to have the blog family when I need to vent my frustrations, ask for prayers or just share the up and downs of this life. I always feel I have a blog family rooting for me! Thanks!

It's SSSSSOOOOOO good to be home!

5 comments:

jettybetty said...

I am so glad it's fixed!!
I have wondered how our ancestors survived Texas before air conditioning, too. Really. They had to be seriously uncomfortable.
Glad you are your fam are back home!

Susan - said...

Glad you are home.

Beaner said...

Man, you guys have had it rough recently!!! I remember your post not too long ago when your van broke down & it was pouring rain & flooding. Crazy. Too much crazy weather in Texas for my taste, but I guess you don't have to worry about 2 feet of snow!!!! I hope you have a very boring (in a GOOD way) weekend!!!

Val said...

If it was over 100 degrees outside, I'll bet Rob endured something more like 140. I don't see how people who do that every day even survive. Anyway, all that reminds me of the old ACU days when all of us went without A/C because we were so cheap. Find the right motivation and I guess you can put up with anything.

SG said...

Val you are right. It was a furnace up there. One air company we worked with would not allow their repair people to go in attics if the outside temperature was over 95. Don't blame them a bit!

And uh, my roommates and I were never that cheap! :) You should have hung out at our house. We liked to keep it chilly!