Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Let the magic begin

Kindergarten is "the magic year" when ...
Little kids turn into students.
There is still a nap or rest time.
The first day is spent chasing the gingerbread men your class colored all over the school only to find the papers have transformed into cookies and are waiting for you in your own new classroom.
Everybody is the new kid.
It's a thrill to eat the first few trays of cafeteria food.
There is story time after lunch and snack time after recess.
Everyday you start with your clip on white, no matter how many color changes you received the day before.
There are no spelling tests, math tests, or graded readings test.
The grades are either S's for satisfactory or N's for needs improvement, no F's for failure.
Kindergarten.
The magic year.
For Rhett it began today.
It was everything he hoped for...
Except that he didn't get to ride a school bus home because we live too close to the school.
But he loved it.
Said he made 19 new friends today and thinks he wants to go back tomorrow!
It has begun.

Rhett getting his Kindergarten Bible at church Sunday.

Look at that Kindergartner!

The first day of school!

With Mrs H. Mrs H. may look familiar as she was Kolby's K teacher and is Mom to our "first third child" McKenna (who I kept for a year when Rhett was 2 and she was Ella Kate's current age.) Mrs H and her family are some of our favorite people!

Miss Kolby also started a magical year...4TH GRADE!

In our school, 4th grade is the senior class. They are the top dogs! Fourth graders have lots of fun as this is their last Elementary year. Next year it is on to the Intermediate School! (Doesn't that just sound so intimidating! INTERMEDIATE SCHOOL!)

Kolby's teacher is also named Mrs. H! Kolby really likes her and so do I. This year will be a test for Kolby in some ways because for the first time she ended up in a different class from every one of her good girl friends. I hate that for her ! But I know my social butterfly will find some new friends very soon. She also is not going to let a few walls keep her from her old friends. I can't believe Kolby is already in the 4th grade! Seems like just a year or so ago that we were dropping her off in Kindergarten! It goes so fast! How do I slow this ride down???? :)

This will be the only year Kolby and Rhett ever share a school if we stay in this school district. I wish they could share a campus a few more years. They are both excited to be in school together, but neither would readily admit to that!

I am excited that both my kids love school, have great teachers and the have same drop off and pick up schedule! It looks to be a great year! I also am glad to have some one on one time with Miss Ella Kate ( who I have not blogged about in a while) Guess that gives me something to blog about later!
Happy New School Year!

6 comments:

Jacinda said...

The kids look great-Kolby looks so pretty!

Your kids are spaced like mine. Gracie will be in 4th when Katie goes to K. Our school does go to 5th though so they'll probably share the same school for 2 years. Our K doesn't do naps though-they probably should!

Mommy of Boys said...

What are the goodies your kids are carrying? Something for the teacher?

SG said...

Yes Mommy of boys, that is exactly what they are. I guess it's a hold over from my Teacher Appreciation years, but I like to send the teacher something. This year it was an asortment. I made up a little sentence or two about each item. It was goofy. Somehow it helps my kids walk in the door if they are carrying a little something for their teacher.

Mommy of Boys said...

Hi, I'm Karen, by the way. I got to you through Elizabeth's blog. My little boy just started kindergarten this year. I think that's a wonderful idea...and very thoughtful!

Jenni said...

you've been nominated.....check out my post:

http://jennipearl.blogspot.com/2007/08/rockin-girl-bloggers.html

SG said...

no ignoring you jenn...just no blog time! :)