Thursday, February 07, 2008

Funk Fighters

It's official. I have had my winter funk. But I think it is lifting, thanks to a few days of blue skies and hopefully a break in the winter virus season. I don't like to blog when I feel funky. It feels like I'm spreading gloom. However I have learned a few tricks over the years to help kick the funk. I thought I would share them here for anyone else fighting the dreaded winter funk. These things have really helped me this time around...

1. Clean the house. Or just one room. Really well. Nothing makes me happier than a clean, orderly room that smells of Fabuloso and glass cleaner.

2. Get out of the house. Even if it is just a trip to the library or mall, get out. Walk. See people. Smile.

3. Buy yourself fresh flowers and put them where you can see them.

4. Get out of bed! Drink one cup of coffee (no more) drink tons of water and cut out sweets and carbs.

5. Do something for someone else but don't tell them. Even something little. It will warm your heart.

6. Pray outside of your bed. Pray all day. At stop lights, and in carpool line. Pray for God to use you and remove the funk from your mind and heart so you can think and feel clearly.

7. Pretend your kids are your best friends kids for a few hours. You will be nicer to them and see them in a different light.

8 Make a healthy meal, set the table, don't answer the phone and DINE with your family. Even have a healthy dessert like berries and cream. Dining feeds the soul where as just eating only fills the tummy.

9. Take a long walk. Even if it is cold out- bundle up! If it is too cold, go walk in a mall or find an indoor track. Just walk fast and hard.

10. Plan for spring. Look at your spring clothes.(Yes this can be a bit depressing in pasty white winter skin, but it might push you into thinking of warmer, sunnier days.)


And of course, if you think it might be more than a seasonal funk or rut, talk to your doctor. I have had to do that before. In fact I have many friends who at one time or another needed to get some medical help to fight a funk. There is no shame in that. It will eventually lift, and you will feel better. Believe that.

Have any funk fighting secrets you want to share? I can always use some more to add to my arsenal!

7 comments:

lauren said...

These are great! I will add to have a dance party...even if you're by yourself.

Anonymous said...

I woke up in a funk today so I called a couple of people just to chat and had my hair cut. Now I can't stop smiling. I think as mom's we put ourselves last too often and it really helps me to do something nice for ME every once in awhile. Makes me nicer to my kids too!

TMK said...

I was in a bad funk in October! I turned to God and it has made the biggest change in my spiritual walk. Sometimes I think God gives us those feelings to refocus. Phil 4:6 was printed and in my car that month and is still there. I also keep my Bible in my car for carpool lines. It's sad when we try to handle our lives, and then, WHAM! all of a sudden, it hits us! It's so much easier to give it to God.

Julie said...

I will steal one from Flylady.com and say "get dressed to your shoes - every day". I am so much more productive with my shoes on. However, for the days you welcome a little funk - a little lazing around, by all means, take off your shoes! :)

Anonymous said...

Girl, those are GOOD! I especially like the one about thinking of your kids like your little best friends....it's all about making yourself slow down and truly enjoying the little boogers. So many times those moments are priceless and a wonderful lifelong memory for you all.

elizabeth said...

In the dead of winter, if there is sun in the sky, I will imagine that it is spring and feel better.

I have more trouble with the funk when it is bright and sunny and 106 degrees day after day. A lot of times at dusk, I will look outside, tell myself that it is fall and I will be happier!

I also love hearing a great song from my childhood and singing it at the top of my lungs! "She wore a raspberry beret....!"

The biggest determiner of my mood is a clean house. Since I know that, I really try hard every day to keep it neat.

Amy S. Grant said...

I'm with ya on the house. It really affects my mood for better or worse.

Great funk fighters. It's just good to know we're not alone in these feelings.