Monday, February 18, 2008

One Arm

Last weekend is a blur. First and foremost Rob's surgery went just as the doctor hoped and all is well...or slowly on it's way to well. Rob's doctor explained that the surgery is the easy part. Rehab and compliance with the restrictions is the hard part. Rob is doing pretty well on both of those fronts, which means he basically can not use his right arm at all. And yes. He is right handed. He can not drive, or write, or open jars. It is hard to do things with one arm when you are used to two.

My dad has had to do that for his entire life. I am always amazed how well Dad does considering he only has one hand that works. Rob may find a new appreciation for my Dad in the next two weeks.. and I may have a new appreciation for my mom!

Robs days are now divided between rehab/exercise, ice, and pain pill intervals. My days are spent keeping up with everyone and helping him keep up with the exercise, ice and pain pills. Ella Kate was scared of Rob's pillow sling at first, but was thrilled to find Daddy home again today. She loves her Daddy! Rhett and Kolby have been really sweet and are trying to help Rob however they can. My parents have helped us so much with the kids the last few days! Our sweet Robby and 'Ria have also pitched in. How do people live without family? I don't know how we would make it without ours! Rob will be home from work for one more week before we head back to Houston to (hopefully) have the doctor release him back to work.

On the home front...
I am wondering how 5 people can create so much laundry in a week. Really! Do we have too many clothes? Are we super sloppy? Why does everything get so dirty so fast? There is not a closet in this house that I do not need to go through and clean out. I should get rid of at least half of the stuff we have managed to once again accumulate. How does it get so out of hand so fast? I feel like I am always cleaning out and putting up, but I never finish. It's a tad overwhelming to be honest. But as Shel Silverstein once said "There is only one way to eat an elephant... ONE. BITE. AT. A. TIME."

Off to start on that elephant! Here's to two functioning arms, eaten elephants and clean closets! Happy Monday!

3 comments:

Susan - said...

I understand. I have a mountain of laundry to tackle today too. Ugh.

When is Spring Break there?

Susan - said...

I saw your kitchen over at Inspired Spaces. I have to say your cabinets appeared darker against the lighter walls. Looked good.

Anonymous said...

I'm still here although not checking as often or blogging much either. As you said, just busy, happy, life! Can't wait to see the floors. We may be doing that soon and I would love to see your ideas. BTW, I never had Patrick's 9 mo. picture taken and he is now 10 mos and walking! Guess I missed it! So, don't feel bad. As the third kids they are lucky to have pictures at all. LOL.