Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Help me make up my mind...UPDATED

I LOVE your comments! I feel like I just had some friends over for coffee and got their opinions. HOW FUN!
(As you know) For the last few weeks (months, or is it years?)I have been trying to re-decorate and freshen-up our living areas. The thing with decorating is that it is expensive, time consuming, and frankly, there are too many options. Now don't get me wrong, I love decorating and I love options! Problem is, I'm not fond of having to make decisions. (Contradictory? Yes, I know.)

ANYWAY, I have spent lots of time lately trying to decide which thing-a-ma-bob looks best in this or that place. As simple as it sounds, it's not. Not for me anyway. I always have 2nd thoughts. (and 3rd, 4th, 5th etc...) Thoughts like: Does this clash with that? Are the heights right? Is there too much of this color over there? Should I change that thingy out over there? What if I put it on a book? What if I paint this to bring out the color in that? See? Too many options!

So in the spirit of keeping it real, I thought I'd share some of today's decorating indecisions with you and get your input. Hearing what others think usually helps me decide what I like... Even when it isn't what everyone else likes. (Weird? Yes, I know. I just came this way.)

So below are some decor options. Please vote on which option you like best in comments. I of course reserve the right to pick the one I like best anyway ...as soon as I figure that out.)

Which arrangement?What do you think?
A B
AND now there is Option C
This is why it takes me so long to decorate. I have to try everything out and switch it around a few hundred times. Any votes for C?
A B
Do you think picture A is a good replacement for Picture B? As I have not fully committed to picture A, it has not been hung. It might look better hung. I think I like A. Is it too big? Picture B was too small for me but, I don't want to go to the other extreme.
UPDATE
I think I am going to go with picture A. This picture was such an incredible bargain that I don't think I can walk away from it. Besides, I think it will it will look good with the leather couch we want. (PS I don't think my walls look this yellow in person! )


Check back later as I plan to add some more. :) Happy Tuesday!

16 comments:

Michele said...

How would the painting from the first set look above the fireplace? Then, try Picture B on top of the cabinet. I think the warm tones brom the painting would bring out the fireplace surround. I also like the dark matting/frame on Picture B and think it would draw your eye up to the arrangement.

(If not, I like Arrangement B and Picture A!)

Nellie said...

I prefer the "A" selections for both. Just my opinion - can't explain it. :)

Jenni said...

I like arrangement A and picture A (not hung). Though Shelly's idea of switching them around is a good one to try as well....

Aggiema (Michelle) said...

In the first set of pictures I prefer the smaller plant in picture B. For the fireplace I like the first picture but I think I would like it better hung up higher like picture B. Of course I can't see the whole room, so the perspective might change completely. Do whatever you like, it will look lovely I am sure!

Leeser said...

Hmmm... You and I are sooo much alike! I was going to vote for A and A, but then I read Shelly's comment and am trying to decide if that brown picture would go over the fireplace. These people that think outside the box just mess everything up! (j/k!) The only thing is that it is not framed and seems more casual... I vote A and A. There- I made a decision. Or an opinion, anyway! Good luck!

Leeser said...

You know, when you move or redecorate and none of your old stuff seems to work, and you are looking for a certain new thing... I thought someone ought to start some kind of "Smarty Pants" for home decor. Where you can trade in your old accessories and buy new ones for cheaper. I guess that's called a garage sale, or flea market?

Angela said...

Okay, going against the grain here (I came that way) I like B & B. The smaller plant is more interesting to me than having eveything at the same height. Also, the smaller picture, hung gives more white (or clean) space to the fireplace which draws my eye more. But, keep in mind that I am a big fan of whitespace and my house currently is decorated in an early childhood theme! Well, you asked for opinions! Trust yourself and remember you can always change it later...

Meredith said...

I like option C! If you had a couple of books to put under the lamp, you would have various heigths to make it more intersting. I like picture A for above the fireplace. The picture you posted of your finished living room looks so quaint and inviting!

Mae said...

Seriously, do you EVER sleep?!?!??!

A & A all the way, baby!!! :)

Laura said...

I just broke out in hives after reading your latest blog entry. I'm not kidding. I HATE HATE HATE decorating and the decisions it involves. I think all of the choices are great. So I choose D. All of the Above!!!

SG said...

No Mae, I don't. Not this week anyway! :)

Susan - said...

I like option C and I like the bigger picture. Your room looks great. I wish I could have seen it in person the other day. Sorry it did not work out. See you soon.

Julie said...

I like A in the first set, but I also agree with the comment about the height. A's plant has a more casual look than the other, which I like, but I wish it was a little shorter. You could always give it a trim! hehe.
The fireplace...I think you've already decided on A, which I think is great, but the topeiaries look like they are too crowded there to me. With the large picture, I'm just not sure that you need them. Maybe a lower plant on one side that sorta spills over the mantel to bring a different plane into the arrangement? On the other side, you could do a couple of smallish candles in colors from the picture... Sorry - I know this wasn't your question. I just couldnt' resist throwing in my 2 cents!
:)

Anonymous said...

When it comes to the plant, candle and picture, I definitely like option C the best!

Amy S. Grant said...

I just love seeing your cozy living room - how beautiful it turned out! Love the wall of crosses.

Darren Duvall said...

Make the TV bigger, put a cooler in the room for cold Mountain Dew and get bigger (and more) speakers so the Surround Sound shakes things off the walls.

Otherwise, whatever makes you happy.

I'm kidding, it's my Y-chromosome acting up again. Room looks great.