Wednesday, September 17, 2008

My Day Off

Today I am taking the day off to do all the things I should be doing anyway but can't ever seem to get done because I'm too busy doing things that have to be done first.

If you totally understood what I said in that last sentence by reading it just once, you get me. If not, you may never, so just shake your head and give us a courtesy read.

Today I am not leaving the house except to pick the kids up from school. After I push publish on this, no more blogging. No Facebook. No meetings. No errands. No returns. No drop-offs. No PTA. No Stores. No Church. And ... NO GUILT!

It's just me, my family, my house and my God. I was actually happily singing praise songs as I scrubbed the toilet this morning because it has been so long since I could just sit and scrub the toilet! I'm even getting a bit tingly thinking of putting the laundry away...and you know how I usually detest laundry. But for the first time in, well... I can't even remember how long, I am staying home.

I going to attempt to do housework, cook a good meal from scratch (without going to the store), play "kitchen" with my 2 year old, give my 7 year old my undivided attention while he reads "The Little's" to me for 20 minutes tonight, and help my sweet tween diva clean up her closet just because I want to and she needs help. And I might even squeeze in a non-cell phone conversation with my husband when he gets home! It's been far too long since I did any of these things, especially considering these are the things I am here to do. This is what I thought I would do everyday when Rob and I decided all those years ago that I would stay home with our kids. What happened?

I fully admit that I had no idea how hard it would be for me to be a stay home Mom. The self imposed balance, structure and discipline required just don't come easily for me. However, I love everything that I do. I love being involved and active. I love my life. But I really don't like the constant rush, the hurry, and the feeling that there is NEVER enough time to get it all done. I don't like the person I become when my life gets too busy and my to-do list is so long I cannot see the end of it.

Perhaps I just need to make myself take a day off more often to do what I need to do at home for those I am supposed to be staying home for. Maybe I'm too much of a weenie to do all this stuff I try to do. Maybe it's just the season. Perhaps I've let my life stray from the purpose God gave me. Perhaps it's a bit of all these things. Perhaps. I'll ponder that as I relish this day at home.

But just in case I get all caught up in things again and forget, would someone please remind me of this glorious September day, documented here by this post, when I made the time to be what and who I wanted to be and to do what needs to be done, and how very, very wonderful it was? Thanks!

5 comments:

Jacinda said...

I LOVE having days just spent at home with the family!!!!!!! I am a homebody by nature and can't stand being busy all the time so I try not to let us get that way. I do like going out to do some things sometimes, but there's just nothing like sitting down to eat a meal that you know you've worked hard to prepare for your family and then just sitting around the house together!

Amy S. Grant said...

Friend, I totally get you! From the first sentence on. I hope you are having a truly blessed day.

I took off a couple Fridays ago for the same reason, and to make my 13-year-old's birthday sleepover special. Our families need us to take that time for them as well as for our sanity!

Susan - said...

Totally got it. I envy you.

"Stay-at-home Mom" - what an oxymoron. When do I get so stay at home?

MDM said...

I loved that!! You are one of my all time favorite bloggers to read.

NinjaPrincess said...

Isn't it funny how enjoyable things become when we can do them on OUR time...without being interrupted? Even cleaning the toilet! I hope it was an enjoyable day for you!