Wednesday, September 10, 2008

These are the days...

This has been a busy week. Truly. Busy.
With multiple meetings everyday and night.
Rob with his TWO graduate classes, playing softball and coaching soccer.
Me with being on the board of two PTA's, trying to paint and redecorate, planning Rhett's birthday party, and dealing with trying to have our house repaired from various accidents.
I'm a bit frazzled. Next week does not look any less busy. Yesterday I found myself wishing the next two weeks away. As much as I love being active and involved, I was looking forward to a less active "normal." But a few things have happened this week that made me stop wishing any more days away. I thought I'd record and share these things here.

First there was the accident in our front yard last Saturday. Even though no one was hurt it was still scary. (The driver wrecked because he had a seizure or something close, but was not actually hurt in the accident itself.) Even though Rhett is fine, I still get week in the knees when I think about how if just one variable changed, it could have been so different. Thinking of my little boy standing in the driveway with a big Yukon plowing through the yards beside him out of control... I still tear up when I think about it. I've hugged Rhett much tighter this week and he doesn't seem to mind. He doesn't really talk about it much, but he has been a little clingier. It really scared him. My sweet neighbor has a special celebration planned for Rhett today to help put a positive spin on the whole thing. Rhett is well loved. (The driver is still in the hospital. Though I'm sure the doctors know, we have not been told exactly what happened. We suspect a stroke or aneurysm. But no matter what it was, this looks to be a life altering event in his life.)

Secondly, I received an e-mail about a girl I once knew who has grown up to have two liver transplants. Even with the touch and go health and the incredible debt that comes with those type of operations, she is living the best life she can with her husband and two school aged kids. The last line of her e-mail said "Every day is a gift" and I thought "Yes. Even these busy ones."

And (I saved the best for last!), my cousin Amber gave birth to a beautiful healthy baby boy last night! I can't wait to get to the hospital to see him this morning! At 9 pounds 1 once, I hear he is a one cute little bundle of boy! I know babies are born everyday, but each birth is it's own little miracle. I love babies! I am always so happy and relieved when babies I know arrive safely with all 10 fingers and toes, breathing well, and all systems go! I am so grateful that little Jeffery "Kolt" Russell is here!

So I'm trying to remember that even when I can't slow down, every day is a gift!
Every day has it's blessings and miracles.
This is the day the Lord has made.
I will rejoice and BE GLAD in it.
These are the days...

1 comments:

Susan - said...

Thanks for the reminder. I had a hellacious week last week. Things went from bad to worse before they got better.

Tell Rhett we all said Happy Birthday. I hope it was a great one.